Soundblaster live digital output

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys.

I have recently relocated my SB Live! Value from an old pc to my gaming machine due to my AC 97 chip dying. I installed the card and the new XP drivers from Creative's website. All of the analog inputs and outputs work just fine, but I can't get any audio out of the digital out.

I have the digital out connected to the digital input of my computer speakers and I get nothing. I have tried it with and without the digital audio only box checked. I have read elsewhere that it could be a problem with the bitrate of the digital output which can be changed from device settings. However, when I go to device settings, I have no option to change the bitrate.

Any ideas how to manually do this, or a reg hack that would solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

I didn't think the SB Live "Value" had a Sony Phillips Digital Interface. Regardless, all SBL family cards (pre Audigy) have a fixed bit rate of 48K and are incompatable with 24/96 hardware.

It does have a digital output. The connector isn't the standard RCA plug, but an 1/8" mini jack. I can't verify that the connector is a S/PDIF or even if it is active on the SB Live Value. The driver does have a location to select "digital output only", but I can't find in the documentation or anyplace on Creative's website regarding the specs for this connector.

Thanks anyway.

Jason

I just dug out an old "Value" card. It does not have a digital output. Holding it up next to a "Live" card, the SPDIF section of the card isn't even populated with chips. I have never seen an 1/8" digital output jack.
I found a picture
sblvalpci.jpg
If you look just left of where it says SPDIF I/O, there's no chip. Here's a picture of a regular live card.
sblive.gif

There are several different models of each creative card (e.g. OEM versions and versions not corrosponding to any on the creative site i.e. I have an audigy with a certain model number but coloured connectors and no gameport - which apparently does not exist on creatives site), and so it is possible that there could be a version that does digital out (although unlikely).

Try the standard Windows Volume Control Panel, and under Advanced Settings, there might be a use Digital Out option (I have seen it on some cards, although I can't remember which)

That is the same situation that I have. I bought mine as an OEM from Dell. They sold it as an SB Live! Value. However, the connectors on the back of mine don't match either picture that 'The Best Alias' posted. I have more input/output connectors on the back. They are all 1/8 minijack and one is labeled digital out. I haven't checked however to see if the digital circuitry is actually on the board . I will check that out tonight.

Jason

I have a live value in one of my old machines - and it has a digital output. My ports aren't color coded either. Unfortunately, I don't think I ever used the digital out fuctions of the card.

Well.... now I HAVE seen an 1/8" digital output. My image search for 'sound blaster live value oem dell' returned this picture.

Most typical soundcard jacks are color coded as follows:

Microphone input is pink or red.
Line Output is green
Line Input is light blue
Digital Output is orange
Line Out 2 (for rear speakers - analog) is black

The color code is known as the PC99 standard but not followed by all.

Just to back-pedal... you DID download the XP patch right? At the bottom of the page.
http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp
Win2K and XP handle SPDIF a little differently than win9x
live4783.jpg

Have you completely ruled out the possibility of a bad cable? Yes, I know I'm grasping at straws here but when all else fails, check the obvious. It should be a single 75 ohm coaxial cable. Not a tip ring sleeve stereo cable.

Other possible causes:
1. Bad card.
2. Bad driver.

I wish I had the right answer.

Presumably you have these drivers

http://uk.europe.creative.com/suppo...99+5%2E1+Digital+%28Dell%29&OSName=Windows+XP

and the update

http://uk.europe.creative.com/suppo...99+5%2E1+Digital+%28Dell%29&OSName=Windows+XP

and have read this manual

http://uk.europe.creative.com/suppo...ame=Sound+Blaster%AE+Live%21%99+5%2E1+Digital

in which case, I refer you to the troubleshooting section - No Sound From Speakers, "you need to tick the DIGITAL OUTPUT ONLY checkbox, after clicking the Red Plus Sign above VOL", in the Creative Surround Mixer AFAIK.

If you are still using the standard Microsoft drivers for it, then I'm pretty sure you can find the same option in the advanced settings in the standard windows volume applet

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I got it working over the weekend. The RCA to phono adapter that I am using wasn't seated well enough onto the cable. Reseated it, reconnected it and voila, it works. Sounds great too.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back