Soundblaster works... but only once!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, my first post here!

Here's a good one for you. Have had a Soundblaster Live! 24 for a coupla years, works fine. Recently changed my m/board after a failure to a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P, and very nice too. I was using its onboard HD audio until my Avid Xpress suite refused to install - it needs an SB compatible card to work. No problems, uninstalled HD Audio, deactivated from the BIOS, and installed the Soundblaster. Downloaded the latest drivers, and I was away....

...until the PC came out of standby, whereupon it refused to believe I had a soundcard at all. Reinstalled the driver, whereapon it told me I definitely had no hardware. So powered down, removed card, powered up and down, inserted card, powered up and it found new hardware. Everything working great again. Suspicious, I powered down and up again... and low and behold, no hardware any more.

All ideas gratefully received! Am happy to buy a new soundcard, but could it be an IRQ conflict or something? PCI IRQs are set to Auto in the BIOS.

...forgot to add, running under XP, SP2.

Grateful even for hunches as to whether it is a soundcard, an m/board, a bios or a windows problem!

And in answer to my own question - it was the bios!

Updated it from f4 to f6 - there was a mention of the latest version fixing a bug to do with PCI. Still didn't recognise the card at first, but after swapping back to the original slot, it fired up fine - and has stayed working through 4 complete power cylces!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back