SoundCard in W2K....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres the deal, for months my computer has routinely locked up in 3d games(Soldier of Fortune, Medal of Honor, Neverwinter Nights, etc...). I assumed it was the "infinite loop" video problem. After spending way too much time finding new and improved drivers and changing settings I read about SB Live cards having issues with 3d games in W2k. For kicks I disabled the card and that was the end of my problems.

So, for a multi-use computer, including 3d games, what is a stable sound card? Price isn't an issue. Surround speakers are setup, just need something to drive them.

Input greatly appreciated.

For stabilty in terms of Drivers and Pure sound quality I'd recommend the Santa Cruz straight away :).

ss1.

I used the Philips Acustic Edge in my Win 2K machine for many of the same games and it worked great.

You have no motivation for solving the problem at hand?
Or are you sick of your old one and just want to upgrade?
But, upgrading when your components get problematic is quite a good idea...At least according to Arris...

I don't trust Philips. I've had a bad experience w/ them :dead:

I have had 0 problems with my Philips, but isn't it odd that I replaced it with the Hercules Game Theatere XP ?? Now I really love the Hercules and the break out box.

I have a SB Live and its always been trouble with 2000 and XP. The sound is harsh and comes out full blast. Ive heard it has something to do with motherboards with VIA chip sets. It works perfectly under 98 though. When I build my new system Im going to use an Nforce board with the onboard 6 channel sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back