SoundMAX distortion in audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

airdudei

I have an integrated SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio sound card, and out of nowhere in Windows XP Pro, I began to experience scratchy audio distortion.

I recently installed a Hauppauge PVR-150 TV Tuner card, and I believe that maybe there is some sort of conflict.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this with a SoundMAX card or a conflict with a Hauppauge. I am guessing it is a conflict but I am not 100%.

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have the newest driver? And for Soundcards do you need to disable the integrated one to upgrade like a videocard or no?

I have a VAIO, and I reinstalled the driver from their site. Should I uninstall the card, reboot, then install the driver?

I do notice that when playing a wave or mp3 file, the sound is so much worse than when watching my PVR. The PVR has no scratching at all in the audio.

What I did for my videocard ( I dont think this would work for sound cards, I only installed videocards befor ) is I totaly whiped the new card from my computer and put the integrated back on and then I restarted then tried to install it again and it worked, hope it works for you =)

I take back the codec part. I checked my computer using XP Codec Packs feature called codec detective and I have them all and all are working properly. Hmmm, I'll get back to you as I'm about to uninstall, reboot, and then install again.

Ok and yes my videocard had sortof the same problem with my monitor messing up every now and then so I just reinstalled and it fixed it

I uninstalled it and reinstalled with a reboot to no avail. It sounds like the audio is being over amplified.

Hmm well like I said im no professional at soundcards, maybe Wolfram will know he seems to know alot about that kind of stuff =P

no prob, man it is so weird, it sounds like the speakers are blown, but I've tried it on numerous different kind of speakers and all have the same result, and my pvr-150 works fine so I know it's the sound card.

Oh that happened to me one time actualy ( I had a diffrent sound card then you ) and I had to uninstall all of the stuff and get a new driver update then my speakers started to work and everything

Could it be that your Hauppauge and your soundcard are sharing an DMA or IRQ that might explain it.
Also if I remember right the 150 Hauppauge request an 1200 mhz computer.
How fast and how much memory does yours have ?

Oh I've got plenty of processor, I have a 2.6 GHz and 512 memory.

And that's probably the reason right there.

How would I go about fixing this DMA or IRQ problem.

I considered the DMA before but could never access anything to it and completely forgot about it. I've been trying all day with codecs and everything, and to no avail. If you have any suggestions with a DMA or IRQ problem, I'd appreciate it and I'll let you know what happens. I have XP Pro.

I think I fixed it, I found the DMA on my secondary hard drive controller was not being used, it was PIO only. My secondary controller is where I store all my media so I understand the problem now. After I reboot and test it out, I will tell you if it worked.

NEVERMIND, I didn't fix it.

DMA wasn't the problem.

I checked for IRQ conflicts and there were none.

It's so weird, the sound is like there is too much bass or the speaker can't handle any bass.

It sounds like your speakers are going out. I had speakers like that they worked fine, but then the sound started to sound muffled like it had to much base. Try some other speakers or some headphone and see how it sounds then

Go to the app that controles your sound card drivers and the media player you use. Look for some EQ settings or 'room' settings. Put them back to Flat/Normal. Otherwise you can try reinstalling the sound card drivers and see if that makes a difference.

N3051M said:
Go to the app that controles your sound card drivers and the media player you use. Look for some EQ settings or 'room' settings. Put them back to Flat/Normal. Otherwise you can try reinstalling the sound card drivers and see if that makes a difference.

I've tried all that, headphones, different speakers, the whole kitchen sink. I've tried the equalizers; none of it works. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that the sound card is going to crap and that I will never again buy a computer with a SoundMAX sound card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back