TechSpot

1. TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Source engine restarts my comp.

By Warmix
Feb 26, 2007
  1. Erhum... "I Supose" my comp can handle the source engine ...i mean at least in the minimuns.
    When i try to run those games (H2 , CS:S etc..) , when the "preparing to launch "xxx" game" appears , and when the game should launch, the computer restarts.

My specs are ;
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
    1GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE TurboCache(TM)
    132gb free disk space

also have the directX 9.0c

any sollutions? or the game just doenst run ... -_-"

possibly needed info :
    i keep my processes tab pretty clean , so my memory doenst screw up
    i SUPOSE i have the latests drivers
    not steam problem , i can run cs 1.6 and other stuff

2. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,019

That system should be able to run Source engine games without any issues.

As it's restarting the computer on-launch, I'd check the usual culprits:
    a) Power supply- a weak or under rated PSU can cause the behavior you are describing. Pop the case and inspect the wattage/amperage of your PSU.
    b) HEAT- make sure your system has proper case cooling. You can probably find a temp monitor program for your PC at your mainboard website or try a 3rd party tool like Speedfan.
    c) Drivers- both chipset drivers for your motherboard and nvidia forceware drivers (latest) should be re-installed. Be sure to uninstall any previous video drivers in the Control Panel, Add or Remove Software before installing new ones. Driver Cleaner Pro also is a nice tool and you can find the freebie version by doing a google/websearch.
    d) Soundcard drivers. Whether it be integrated sound on your motherboard or a PCI soundcard, you should update these as well.
    e) Reinstall DirectX 9.0c from Microsoft's website.

Good luck!

3. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,273

Actualy, My old computer had worse stuff ( The Videocard was a PCI 6200, but I OCed it abit ;) ) and only 512mb of RAM. The game put my settings to High ( except for Character models being medium )

Do what Sharkfood said and it'll run ;)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.