Soyo Firedragon troubles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay, im hoping that im not the only one on this earth with this problem. recently decided that i was going to build my first computer. this is what i bought:

P4 1.7ghz
Soyo P4l Firedragon mobo
128 ddr ram pc2100 (non-ecc)
volcano cpu fan
g-force2 mx-200 video card
80gb barracuda hd
a floppy drive
a cd drive
300 watt tigerpro power supply
a p4 compatible case with a couple of fans

on first boot, i heard a horrendous series of beeps, they were long with a short pause in between, with no video. i put the jp5 jumper from pins 1-2 to 2-3, and no more beeps, but still no video. looking on the soyo website it assured me that it was a memory problem. that really didnt help me any so i called them up (within the brief half hour that the tech support is actually open) and the guy (upon hearing the beeps) once again assured me that it was the memory. so i go on crucial.com and buy the RAM thats best suited for my mobo, and about half an hour ago i installed it. guess what? still the same beeps. so to summarize my problems:
no video
hideous beeps when jp5 connector is on pins 1-2 (only beeps every OTHER time power is turned on, go figure....)

i've tried using an old school pci video card but its the same prob... please im sure im not the only one thats had this problem(unless im doing something monumentally stupid). either way i'd like some input cause i am stumped and so are my hardware savvy friends. thx:(

1 Long Beep: Memory problem

Explanation: There is a failure of some sort related to the system memory.

Diagnosis: The first bank of memory probably has a failure of some sort; this is usually just a physical problem such as an incorrectly inserted module, but may also mean a bad memory chip in a module. It is possible that there is a failure related to the motherboard or a system device as well.

1 Long, then 2 Short Beeps: Video error

Explanation: The BIOS is unable to access the video system in order to write any error messages to the screen.

Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the video card, or the memory on the video card. It can also be a motherboard issue.

1 Long, then 3 Short Beeps: Video error

Explanation: The BIOS is unable to access the video system in order to write any error messages to the screen.

Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the video card, or the memory on the video card. It can also be a motherboard issue.

Continuous Beeping: Memory or video problem

Explanation: The system is producing constant beeping in no specific pattern, or a fast "ringing" sound.

Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the system memory, or possibly the video card. The memory is more likely--the system complains long and loud if it can't find any usable memory, as there is no way to even start the boot process when this is the case. The motherboard itself could also be the problem.

These are for the Award bios, which is what I assume you have. Other than this, try reseating all your cards, cpu, memory, everything! Also, reset your CMOS.

Check here for more Award bios beeps: http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

Maybe this can help some. If you want to know anything else please ask! :)

unfortunately i am sure that its not my memory... i've seen 30 different websites that assure me that its my memory but i know its not, i've tried two diff. sticks one of which was recommended for my mobo, but still, no video... im beginning to think its my cpu......

Try reading this, I posted this in the tread Uncleel left for you. Sometimes even the motherboard maker steers you wrong. Try this first then follow Uncleels link and read what caused trouble in another Soyo board. Yes it sounds stupid but he got it working.

Hope this all helps....

What did you install when you built it. Start with just the board, memory, cpu/fan , video card. See if it boots or if you get a bios screen. Also, I am not sure on that model, check any jumpers and dip switches, Then check them again, then look in the manual, and check them again. I faut my board for 2 days convinced it was dead when it turned out to be a wrong dip switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back