Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedman

p4s_dragon_ultra.jpg

Or...

p4s645dx_dragon_ultra.jpg

Which one is better and Why?

Soyo

Not sure about the P4 Soyo boards but I have the Dragon Plus and it runs flawlessly. Onboard lan work well as does the onboard sound. I don't use the onboard sound but have tested it and it seemed as good as my Sound Blaster Live. My computer is up sometimes well over a week with never a crash. Have a good one. Might be worth mentioning that my son and I have both played all the way through Jedi Knight II with never a lock up or a crash. If you are familiar with the game then you know it has had some serious stablity problems. Not sure if the Soyo had anything to do with it but if it did right on, one of the best game I have played in a long time.

Soyo Dragon Plus
AMD 1700
512 DDR
Geforce 3 Ti200 way overclocked
Sound Blaster Live
Win XP Home

I'd say go with the second because it has pink PCI slots & I don't like purple.:p

You don't really give us much info to go by. We can't really decide just by looking at them...

lol that was my point didou the website didn't give me much info on them either. The only difference I noticed was one had DX and the other didn't.

The only difference between the 645 & 645DX was official support for PC2700 ( DDR 333 ) Ram with a 5:3:1 ( MEM/FSB/PCI -> 166:100:33 ) speed setting allowing you to run the Ram at 166 even with the CPU FSB at 100.

I remember seeing a few articles where they flashed a non DX Card with a BIOS made for a DX one. That new setting appeared in the BIOS once it was done & it actually worked.

What's the price difference between both cards ?

I've never seen a website with both cards on it, but I found one that had the non-dx one for $140, and then Im gonna get 512mb PC2700 for it. Do I have to flash the bios to get the ram to work?

Originally posted by Tedman
I've never seen a website with both cards on it, but I found one that had the non-dx one for $140, and then Im gonna get 512mb PC2700 for it. Do I have to flash the bios to get the ram to work?

You could indeed flash the BIOS but you would loose the warranty at the same time.

With the non DX version, in the BIOS you could select 4:3:1 timings ( 133:100:33 ) which was the highest. In order to get the RAM to work at 166, your FSB would have to be clocked at 124 which is possible if you ask me.

The real problem is that by clocking your FSB to 124, your PCI is at 41 ( unless the board has a way to lock the PCI & AGP speed ).

Maybe wait a little while, the SiS645DX Boards are making some noise right now so I would wait for a roundup of those cards.

Well then I guess we'll have a pratical answer ( rather then all the theory I've been trying to put out ;) ).

Remember while assembling the parts to apply the AS paste counter clockwise & have your left foot higher then the right. It also wouldn't hurt if you would wait for Jupiter to be aligned with Mars before popping the Ram in.:D

I just noticed that the second board has some dipswitches at the bottom edge marked CJ1 where as the first board just has solder points. Wonder if its got more overclocking options....
The second board's Northbridge fan also uses up a fan header which the first board doesn't seem to.

It seems the board Im getting supports pc2700 anyway, I guess the DX one just has more useless overclocking features that I probably won't use until about a month of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back