TechSpot

Space Shuttle Loss

By vassil3427
Feb 1, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm sure by now you have all heard of the loss of the lives of the seven astronauts onboard the shuttle Columbia, it strikes more at home for me because I am an American, but it is a loss for everyone, I would just like to say how sorry I am for the family's of those who were lost:(
  2. Shaft

Shaft TS Rookie Posts: 100

It also happened to be the shuttle flight with the FIRST Israeli astronaut in space.
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,539   +301

Woke up to this news this morning, its a terrible tragedy. Unfortunately NASA at this time isn't able to give the public any information on what caused it. They are mentioning some debris hitting the left wing at some point I believe but say that that is not uncommon. I'm sure you can get a more complete update at your favorite online news source or on the tv.
  4. Nick

Nick TS Rookie Posts: 216

i heard that there was too much pressure in the landing tire causing it to explode causing the shuttle to blow up...
  5. PreservedSwine

PreservedSwine TS Rookie Posts: 375

Entirely too early to asses blame. The info you have is partially correct, as it stands there are plenty of things to investigate, including the odd sensor readings in the left wing, along with the piece of foam that came loose and hit the wing on take-off, and possible rotation during re-entry.

Don't expect an answer anytime soon, if ever....:(
  6. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Posts: 645

Landing gear? Tire pressure? What are you talkin about? The landing gear wouldn't have been out since it did not crash, nor was it landing. The shuttle caught fire and exploded...

Personally, I think that a cover-up will be uncovered here in the near future. During take-off some piece of the huge gas cylinders fell off and hit part of the left wing, which most likely damaged at least the heat shield tiles on it. A spokesman for NASA said that they saw this, concluded that nothing major had happened, and that if something major had happened they couldn't have done anything to fix it. :rolleyes: There are people on the space station right now, meaning there is an extra shuttle up there right now. They should have switched shuttles and used something on earth or something up in space to decide what possible problems there were with that shuttle.

The year is 2003, 34 years after we 'suspectedly' landed on the moon. This is no freak accident, someone somewhere knew that this was a possibility.
  7. PreservedSwine

No, it means they were dropped off.

Also, this is not the first time something has come off the booster rockets and collided with parts of the space shuttle on take-off, it has happened on multiple occasions.
  8. PHATMAN5050

Yes, but this time there was enough damage to make the shuttle explode.

Are you sure there is no extra shuttle up there? If there is not, NASA has way too much confidence in this space station, and if I was an astronaut about to be launched into space to live on the station, I would demand a way out like a shuttle being there.
  9. PreservedSwine

PHATMAN, there is no shuttle up there.

I happen to know several people who have gone up on space shuttle missions, and I am finding your lack of knowledge combined with odd accusations insulting, and hurtfull. Although I do not know anyone personally on that mission, I have friends that just lost friends.

You are in no position to declare what NASA does or does not have confidence in, and I would appreciate it if you kept your opinions to things you have knowledge of.
  10. vassil3427

vassil3427 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 822

I guess hackers took advantage of the situation and defaced some of their websites yesterday, what a sick world we live in...

Hackers deface Nasa's websites
  11. SNGX1275

Phat - there is a module type thing that can bring the crew of the ISS back to Earth in case of an emergency on the station, but there is no shuttle.

12. Top_gun

Top_gun TS Rookie Posts: 81

The problem is that the ISS is slowly falling back to earth but when a shuttle docks with it, it pushes it back up. It took almost 3 years from the Challenger before the shuttles were flying again. NASA might be under some pressure this time to hurry up to find an answer...
  13. SNGX1275

I believe its not just public pressure but also pressure from within NASA to get the next shuttle back up there as soon as possible. NASA and other agencies have been toying with the idea of different vechiles to get people up into space but I suspect that now there will be much more pressure from the public.
  14. PHATMAN5050

I'm sorry that I offended you 'preserved swine' but I stand behind my opinions.
  15. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

Here's some info from Nasa regarding what happened, and what is going to happen with the astronauts currently on the ISS...

My emphasis....
  16. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

It was probably an antagonizing communist plot to undermine the very fabric of capitalist space exploration.

.. Or not.

It is likely NASA will keep things underwraps for a while because it was likely to be 95% their fault.

Regardless, the loss of lives are always felt by the country. May those astronauts rest in peace, says it best I believe. And condolences to all the living that suffer from this tradgedy.

Space exploration is still in its infancy and is a very complex and rogue science. Perhaps in 500 years, we'll have something a little more safe like this...

[​IMG]

But not this...

[​IMG]
  17. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

If i have not mistaken, i came across an article this morning in which a former NASA Safety official have wrote to US President Bush last year to warn a possible space disaster. in his letter, he also mentioned that a 2000 inpections of Columbia led to the founding of 3500 wiring defects!
  18. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

WOW, that is bad. You would figure they would do something aobut that, especially since the Columbia was about 20 years old. Sometimes people amaze me with the way they see things, and look at htings, and then decide they are OK.
  19. SNGX1275

Apparently NASA has removed much of its concentration on the foam insulation causing the damage. They ran simulations with the foam hitting the wing at twice the velocity and don't believe that it would done significant damage even at that speed.

Now for a while I had been skeptical about that foam thing, I mean foam is pretty light. But I also didn't know how fast it was traveling when it hit. So I was waiting for something like this to shed some light on it.

About the wiring defects, I heard somethign about that too. I bet that at least some were taken care of. Anyone know when Columbia went up last prior to a couple weeks ago? I'm almost certain that they would have gone up at least once since those defects were found.
  20. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

The budget allocated for NASA in dealing with its space program is gettin smaller and smaller, as you can see politics also play a great role. As a result, reliability and quality safety degraded. Can't blame the US government tough, its pretty expensive to run the space program, they need a LOT of money, billions!
  21. SNGX1275

Are you sure the budget is decreasing in money numbers? I've heard conflicting reports, but the one I believe most is that the government just isn't giving more money each year, instead its staying the same. Which you can call a smaller budget because of inflation, the allocated money isn't going up with inflation.
  22. conradguerrero

conradguerrero TS Rookie Posts: 357

It's true that the current shuttles are old, a new prototype is in development and should be comming out in the next 5 to 10 years.

Disaster is necessary for the development of safer space craft, either real or computer generated. This should persuade the government to increase the budget for NASA and improve the safety of Space Travel.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.