Speaker problems, in the car?

By ZeroCount
Feb 15, 2007
  1. Wasn't sure were to put this, I'm not even sure if there is a place!

Yes, I recently bought my first car, a '95 Chevrolet Camaro that is absolutly beautiful!

Well, it has a Bose sound system in it, and had the original Bose deck (Just a tape deck) so, I wanted to change it out. I went off and bought a 52x4 (220w) Dual* Deck and installed it myself.

After installation, the right driver's side speaker now makes a crackling sound when the power button is pushed, when the volume is either all the way down or up, it doesn't matter. Only as long as the speakers are powered and the remaining time it is on.

Now, that is bothersome, but when I turn on my CD player or radio, all the speakers make a hissing sound, best described at the sound of a pissed off cat or snake.

So... If anyone could help, I would greatly appriciate it! Thanks in advance.

*Dual is a brand, I didn't mean 'Dual' as in 'two'.
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Looks like a grounding fault. The "ground" wire of speakers must not touch any real ground anywhere! How did you do the wiring? Knife+tape or some proper plugs?
  3. ZeroCount

ZeroCount TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 48

Well, I looked and read around, found out that I needed a very specific adaptor for the Camaro BOSE system, so i bought it, used it, everything worked fine.

For the wires, we used electrical knobs (The kind you screw on) and they did the trick. The only thing that I think it might be, is there was one wire, an orange one, that didn't have any use. But I took the wire 'tape/covering' off thinking I could use it, and didn't, but never covered the exposed copper wire.

Could that exposed wire even though it has no use (I think is was for Illumination I think) cause that hissing?

Thanks for the response.
  4. ZeroCount

Bump... :(
  5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

The bare copper wire needs to go to chassis ground. Secure it properly and tightly to a ground point maybe on the main fuse block. I have a Bose 8-speaker system in my 92' Lumina Euro
  6. ZeroCount

What do you mean by 'chassis ground' and 'ground point'? Sorry if I seem a little Unknowledged, please bare with me.

It was a wire for illumination, whatever the heck that means. I dont really understand all that much about car audio, so any advice would help. It is a single wire that sits by itself, and doesn't connect to anything.
  7. Tmagic650

"Chassis ground" is the same grounding where the car's battery negative terminal is tied... Where did you put the grounds from the new Dual deck? The bare wire might go there
  8. ZeroCount

Well, like I said, I got the '93-'96 Camaro BOSE adaptor that goes with my car.

That one wire wouldn't connect to ANY other wires on my dual deck. Here are the online directions for my dual deck if that helps... Hope it does. - 'User Manual'

9. Tmagic650

It might be better if you take the car into a good auto stereo shop, and have them check the system out. It is probably a simple problem
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.