Speakers not working with windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,
Wondering if anyone might know why my Monsoon Mh500 speakers that are in perfect condition, won't work with my new computer and windows xp.
When I search for the system in my devices category to check, I don't find mine as an option. Are they obsolete?
Thanks,

Desperate for sound

Welcome to TechSpot

Check if your soundcard (or onboard sound chip) is working. In Control Panel, open "Sounds and Audio Devices". Do you see any device for sound playback?

speakers

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I see my Soundmax Digital Audio. Under the 'general' tab, it states that it's working properly. I have even followed the troubleshooter. Is there a chance that it's not compatible with Windows XP. The speakers are really old(2001) but they're great and they work perfectly with other systems???
Thanks again!!

I would think speakers are speakers they don't go obsolete but they can break. You're sure everything's plugged in correctly? Do you have front and rear speaker jacks on your new PC, the fronts need to be connected to the mobo properly or if not the mobo AUD connector requires jumpers to allow signal thru to the rear jacks. Check your mobo manual to ensure you have everything connected as it should be.

cheers.

It's often just the wrong jack, a checkbox (Ex. Digital Audio Only) or something muted that could be the problem. If the speakers work plugged in any portable device headphones jack they have no problem. The drivers could. I don't know Soundmax but maybe the jack you used is not set or is not the output?

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Check if your soundcard (or onboard sound chip) is working. In Control Panel, open "Sounds and Audio Devices". Do you see any device for sound playback?

Hi Mictlantecuhtli I did what you said in the sounds and audio devices and there is no device for sound playback. What should I do now please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back