Spec by Spec: The Ideal Smartphone for 2017

I’ve once again opted for a 1440p AMOLED. Some may prefer a 1080p display for performance or battery life reasons, however across 2015 and 2016 I saw no appreciable difference in either aspect between premium devices that used a 1080p display, and those that went for 1440p. If there’s no difference, you may as well opt for the better technology.

I'd disagree, and am still using the Sony Z3 as I don't see the need for an upgrade. 1440p is all well and good but the majority of content being consumed will still be 1080p, Some Youtube stuff is still uploaded by content creators in 720p max. Also if you are going to be consuming content on your mobile would you rather get a data use bill for consuming 1440p content or 1080p? I know which I'd prefer.
As for no appreciable difference, if you are watching 1080p on a 1440p screen either it looks worse, or you have to upscale which is bound to have some hit on battery. In terms of gaming performance then the GPU has to do more work with 1440p than 1080p, so unless the graphics processors in SoC solutions used in mobile devices have become much, much better then I do not see the benefit on a 5.3 inch device of 1440p.

My overall opinion on smartphones is that the evolution/improvement and addition of features that are generally beneficial to the customer base has stalled some what. Sure we can have more cores and a chunk more memory but to Joe Bloggs and the majority of users what difference will that actually make. Features like curved edge displays and 1440p/4k displays on these devices to me are just "because we can" moves by manufacturers. Next we'll see 3D displays in phones because they have to get something out of that tech since it's really failed to be adopted in televisions en masse by customers...

Remember we now have computing devices in the palms of our hands that can be used to do complex calculations and give us access to the wealth of knowledge of the entire human race and most people use them for posting pictures of food/pets on social media and watching funny youtube videos.

Last edited:
I think it’s a good opinion about Ideal Smartphone for 2017. It is a compilation interesting of attributes of different models of Smartphone in the market. I have used Samsumg S7 Edge during current year, for me it is a good device because it has some strengths such as: high quality of videos, images and photos; water resistance, MicroSD slot, front flash, motion capture and panorama; and other benefits. However, I think it has a few details to improve like: the speakers, I think it’s a good idea that this device has a double front speaker because is uncomfortable has only one speaker in the contour of device which limits the quality of sound. Also, I think the curved form has certain disadvantage with respect to sensitivity of the screen in the moment that it is keeping.

Back