Speed or Quantity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bretty

I was thinking about getting some DDR400. My motherboard supports it so I thought why not.

OR I could buy another stick of 266. Do you guys think that the speed will be better, or the amount.

1) 512MB DDR400
2) 1024MB 266?

Cheers

Depends on what you're gonna do with this machine. Gaming will probably see a slight benefit from the DDR400 - but I think it will be pretty small. Now 3D modeling or video or things along that line that gobble up RAM will like the extra mem it could use before swapping. Just a matter of needs.

LNCPapa

DDR 400 at the moment is not fully developed. Thus, many DDR400 motherboards actually go slower than a good DDR333 board. As for now, I'd stick with 266 DDR - or upgrade to DDR333 later on.

Or, you could dump the whole lot and go with 1066 Rambus stuff...providing that you're loaded. ;)

I wouldnt ge the Rambus. I hear that Intel has dropped that stuff?

I might get another stick of DDR266. That should help my 9700PRO

in the final analysis, it depends on what you do.

do you run matlab experients (more RAM)

or do you run games (faster RAM)

Yeah the 333 is not as expensive, and should increase the performance too.

Although I was thinking if Im going to upgrade the RAM, I might as well upgrade to 400.

For AMD, I would go DDR 333 than 400 since benchmarks show that the 333 in most tests beat the 400.

For Intel, despite the fact that Intel is dropping support, the best ram is still RDRAM for the bandwidth hungry P4s

Does your motherboard support Athlon XPs with a 333fsb.
If so then the 333DDR was a wise investment since boards that support 333 fsb can run synchronously with 333DDR providing a substantial performance upgrade. So if and when you upgrade to a 333 fsb Athlon you can run your system in this manner. Should be able to run 400DDR in this way as well but there is no point paying the extra money for no performance increase.

CAS 2.5 is better than 3. The lower the CAS value the faster the ram will respond for data access by the CPU.

Hey Bretty have you benchmarked your system?? Id like to compare results, ive got the same setup minus the mobo, and ram.
p4 2.4
512 pc2100
rad 9700
soundblaster audigy gamer
How much of an improvment did you get with the ram??
thanks,
franlinz

Yeah yeah, the DDR333 is definitely the wiser choice, IMHO. The DDR400 I got was dirt-cheap (Ha! $70 for 256), and received positive reviews. Not much for overclocking, but I don't overclock, and it's very thermally efficient. These are the first sticks to have BGA DRAM on them, and I expect them to fully sink into the memory market shortly.

franklinz.

Ill get the RAM in a coupla days. Ill do a Quake3 timedemo and 3dmark.
Il post the results here as soon as I have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back