TechSpot

Split-screen multitasking unearthed in iOS 8 beta

By Shawn Knight
Jun 12, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Split-screen multitasking is coming to Apple's mobile platform in iOS 8. It wasn't demoed during WWDC earlier this month simply because it isn't ready, but it's there.

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,550   +852

To me this is a key feature to making mobile OS's feel like a desktop os.

3. TheDreams

TheDreams TS Addict Posts: 609   +61

On devices as small as an iphone and ipod, it will not be worth it. The screens will be immensely small.

4. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Guru Posts: 469   +97

Hey look, they're innovating (read: stealing) again. Its not like I don't understand the move but I'm honor bound to point out Apple's ironies.

5. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

They are readying it for the bigger screens that are coming this year - 5.5" iPhone 6 and 12" iPad.

6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

I'd file this one under 'common sense functionality' Although since Apple is often so late with features Android users have access to, sometimes it's a fine line between 'late' and 'stealing'.

7. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Guru Posts: 469   +97

You are correct. It is common sense functionality and practically should be stolen. And if Apple hadn't have sued so many times over common sense functionality, I wouldn't be honor bound to mention it.

8. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

This would be a great convenience. I wonder if this will lead to legal issues with Microsoft though... we don't see snapping side by side windows on OSX for this reason.

9. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Evangelist Posts: 595   +52

Which are in turn features that Windows user have access to. I can't believe the complete and willful ignorance of those, who refuse to acknowledge that both Apple and Samsung (not Android) have copied Windows 8.

10. MilwaukeeMike

I don't know about you, but I've been putting windows side by side since Windows 95. Hence the phrase 'common sense functionality.'

11. pmcardle

pmcardle TS Enthusiast Posts: 115   +21

You've been putting windows side by side on a tablet since Windows 95, wow you're good.

12. "At Apple, we imitate, not innovate."

13. Hasbean

Hasbean TS Enthusiast Posts: 98   +22

That's amazing. I can see the line-ups outside Apple Stores already forming.

14. Google and microsoft should now sue apple for using there ideas since apple like to sue everyone else ...

APPLE = LOOSER

15. With an increasing trend toward comment like the above, it is easy to see why Apple are quaking in their boots and will be bought by Samsung for a bargain price within 8 years.

Thank goodness the HYPE is over.

this Apple = not good for you

16. MilwaukeeMike

Ha, I see what you did there... you took my line about using apps side by side for years and add 'tablet' to make my point not make any sense. Well played, sir.