Spontaneous Rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

oh_aye

Hey. My PC has been rebooting spontaneously for a long time now. It mostly happens on games, but has done it twice while I was on the internet. I have already had a new motherboard and a new psu. I have the latest drivers, and I have checked my machine for viruses/spyware. Has anybody got a clue wot could be causing this to happen. Cheers all :) :)

Why don't you see if you can diagnose the problem, given your description?

You supply no details of your hardware/software and yet you expect some of us psychics to tell you what is causing your issues. Please fill out your PC specs in your profile, then provide a better description in your post.

If you have an nVidia nForce2 mainboard, then make sure you are not using nVidia's IDE drivers (use the microsoft drivers instead) as these have recently caused spontaneous rebooting problems for me.

Anyone else care to take a guess?

wo wo wo, I am sorry, I don't kno wot I was thinkin, I can't believe I 4got the specs, sorry.

AMD Athlon XP 2700+ (2.17Ghz)
512MB DDR333 RAM
MSI K7N2GM-L MOTHERBOARD (nVIDIA® nForce2 IGP Chipset)
GEFORCE 4 MX400 INTERGRATED 128MB
120GB HARD DRIVE
DVD RW
DVD ROM
56K INTERNAL MODEM
ANTEC TRUEPOWER 430W PSU
WINDOWX XP

I am using nVidia's IDE drivers, I shall get the microsoft drivers back up running, and not use nVidia's. :)

Originally posted by oh_aye
wo wo wo, I am sorry, I don't kno wot I was thinkin, I can't believe I 4got the specs, sorry.

No apologies necessary....it happens to most new people to these boards at one time or another.

One question.....actually two. How long have you had this machine running and at what point did it start with this problem? Did you custom build it, somebody else or is it a store-bought machine?

first off, disable "reboot on fatal error" from within system properties. This way, maybe you'll get a BSOD instead which may help to diagnose the problem. Secondly, check Event Viewer after a random reboot happens, this might contain info which could be useful to figuring out whats going on.

There are many possible causes of random reboots, most often it is either a driver, a power issue, or malware, though there could be other reasons this may be happening as well.

This was a 'store bought' machine. When it was under its warranty, i sent it back to them and they said it was a faulty motherboard, and so they changed it. The old motherboard had nvidia nforce2 chipset, but without the IDE drivers, as they werent out back then. I've had this pc a year now. With the new motherboard it still restarted, but not as often as the old one. Then they put me a new psu in. It still did it. Maybe its been the nVidia IDE drivers all along. Ill see how I go with the microsoft IDE drivers back on. So I've had the problem ever since the pc was set up. I think the first motherboard was faulty, used to reboot every few mins. Now with the newish msi motherboard it does it every so often. I hope now the nVidia IDE drivers are off the problem will go away. Cheers all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back