Spotify slowly phasing out peer-to-peer network music delivery

Justin Kahn

In order to keep its bandwidth and server costs down, popular music streaming service Spotify has made use of peer-to-peer networks to deliver your content. Also once used to help the service offer up tracks quickly, peer-to-peer connections on Spotify are now slowly being phased out according to the company.

When speaking with TorrentFreak recently, Spotify said its need for P2P networks is a thing of the past and will be transitioning over to a completely dedicated server based system. According to Spotify, its servers can now easily offer the company's over 24 million active users a "best-in-class" streaming experience.

“We’re gradually phasing out the use of our desktop P2P technology which has helped our users enjoy their music both speedily and seamlessly,” said Alison Bonny from Spotify.

It sounds like users will get the same or even possibly better performance with the dedicated servers as well as some other benefits. As some have suggested the departure from P2P sharing could bring data usage down for users accessing the service from home, considering they will no longer be sharing tracks with thousands of other users. However, this will be a pretty seamless switch from the sounds of it and likely go unnoticed to most users.

Where it once serviced nearly 80% of songs not accessed over the internet through P2P networks, that number will be reduced over the months to come as the service fully transitions over to Spotify's central servers.

Permalink to story.

We’re gradually phasing out the use of our desktop P2P technology which has helped our users enjoy their music both speedily and seamlessly.
lol, so Spotify is now in the business of letting its users NOT enjoy their music?

As some have suggested the departure from P2P sharing could bring data usage down for users accessing the service from home, considering they will no longer be sharing tracks with thousands of other users.
I disagree.
I don't think uploads are restricted by ISPs that much. it is the download speed and cap that powers the pockets of the ISPs. perhaps Spotify can 'subsidize' users who share the burden of uploading files to other users.
also, dedicated servers can bog down due to extremely high demand. remember HBO's 'Game of Thrones' tv series?

We’re gradually phasing out the use of our desktop P2P technology which has helped our users enjoy their music both speedily and seamlessly.
lol, so Spotify is now in the business of letting its users NOT enjoy their music?

As some have suggested the departure from P2P sharing could bring data usage down for users accessing the service from home, considering they will no longer be sharing tracks with thousands of other users.
I disagree.
I don't think uploads are restricted by ISPs that much. it is the download speed and cap that powers the pockets of the ISPs. perhaps Spotify can 'subsidize' users who share the burden of uploading files to other users.
also, dedicated servers can bog down due to extremely high demand. remember HBO's 'Game of Thrones' tv series?

Having fairly slow internet at home it was nearly impossible to play dota and listen to spotify at the same time, in the past couple of weeks that has changed. When songs switch I no longer lag like I used to, I see this being a good thing.

Back