TechSpot

Spotify slowly phasing out peer-to-peer network music delivery

By Justin Kahn
Apr 17, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. In order to keep its bandwidth and server costs down, popular music streaming service Spotify has made use of peer-to-peer networks to deliver your content. Also once used to help the service offer up tracks quickly, peer-to-peer connections on Spotify...

Read more

2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,389   +329

What difference will this make? And why should we care?

3. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

lol, so Spotify is now in the business of letting its users NOT enjoy their music?

I disagree.
    I don't think uploads are restricted by ISPs that much. it is the download speed and cap that powers the pockets of the ISPs. perhaps Spotify can 'subsidize' users who share the burden of uploading files to other users.
    also, dedicated servers can bog down due to extremely high demand. remember HBO's 'Game of Thrones' tv series?

4. tehbanz

tehbanz TS Enthusiast Posts: 183   +10

Having fairly slow internet at home it was nearly impossible to play dota and listen to spotify at the same time, in the past couple of weeks that has changed. When songs switch I no longer lag like I used to, I see this being a good thing.