TechSpot

Sprint closing in a deal to buy T-Mobile for $32 billion

1. Sprint has agreed to acquire T-Mobile for around $40 a share in a deal valued at around $32 billion, according to The Wall Street Journal. The acquisition could happen early this summer.

Read more

2. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,183   +528

Is it just me or are we slowly working are way back to monopolies?

3. Hexic

Hexic TS Addict Posts: 283   +132

And I thought it was dangerous when the 'Big 5' ceased to exist.

4. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

telecoms, OPEC = $

5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,555   +2,899

Headline next year, "AT&T buys Sprint"!

6. And 2 years after that the headline "US Govt buys Verizon"...lol

7. rub900

rub900 TS Member Posts: 76   +6

Sprint sucks. I will cancel my T-Mobile account.

8. Sprint don't own themselves so no one can buy them as a Japanese bank already bought them. Softbank owns Sprint and has for over a year now. So AT&T couldn't buy them anyways nor would the FCC or DoJ approve that so it wouldn't even matter.

Verizon needs to start doing something because they are going to be the only carrier without any real merger. Sprint have clearwire aka clear and now TMobile. AT&T will now have DirecTV and Comcast and TWC merged. Verizon may be the biggest but can lose that quick with all these mergers going on.

9. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,323   +710

More like the other way around. They already spend enough buying congresspeople - they might as well make the wedding official.

Also:

"If indeed a deal is announced, it is likely to face intense scrutiny from regulators as the merger would combine the country's third- and fourth-largest wireless operators, reducing the number of US wireless carriers from three."

Should've been, "TO three," or alternately "from four". Someone couldn't make up their mind and got brainlock, LOL

10. Fbarnett

Fbarnett TS Booster Posts: 206   +30

More like we find out the NSA owned Verizon all along