TechSpot

Sprint to throttle heavy data users in congested areas

By Shawn Knight
May 8, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. If you happen to be a Sprint wireless subscriber with a heavy data appetite and live in a congested area, things are about to go from bad to worse on the download front. That's because the carrier has started informing...

Read more

2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

So much for "truly" unlimited data.

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,322   +621

Interesting. Quite sad it's performed on a monthly basis, as the QoS to make this work is easily performed in the router, real time. IMO, it ought to be dynamic throttling of the current router bandwidth (ie top 5% current data usage) and that would be very democratic and not discriminatory. Perhaps someday - - -

4. WTF 5GB is nothing thats like watching 3 netflex movies in HD

5. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,657   +309

Does NOT work for me unless 'shaping' means less than a 20-25% reduction. Hey, FCC, where's the competition? Let's get with the competition, huh!?!

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,322   +621

I assume you refer to a consequence of shaping video streaming and yeah, that's a disaster in the making at some threshold. All other uses (eg email, surffing, uploading) would only see performance delays which should not matter.

7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,490   +2,040

Does that mean we can expect Sprint to change their name to Stroll then?

wiyosaya and jobeard like this.
  8. Red87

Red87 TS Rookie Posts: 23

The keyword here was wireless. This is talking about 5GB of cell phone data, not home internet. Here where I live you get unlimited data, but if you hit your soft-cap (5GB) you are throttled to 256Kbps (Yes, kilobits, not kilobytes) until your next pay period. This is pretty common.