Spybot S&D Installation Blocked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an infection that prevents me from getting to any spyware websites including safer-networking to update SpyBot S&D. I've tried Firefox and IE and both are blocked. Symantec EndPoint Protection does not find it. I downloaded SpyBot S&D on another machine and moved it to the infected machine. However, when I go to install it, it tries to contact safer-networking and cannot resolve the URL.

Any ideas on how to get around this so that I can get rid of this infection? Thanks

Spybot is pretty useless anyway... it is basically just a remover of simple spyware and cookies... It is not capable of removing any of the top 12 spyware ... and when it does, it cannot keep up with the updates.
Drop Spybot, and Adaware if you use it as most Spybot people do, and switch to two of these:
Spy Sweeper, Spyware Doctor, MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Advanced System Care, and when appropriate, ComboFix.
When used along with the free Avira Antivir or the free Alwill Avast, you are protected very well indeed... assuming you do the updates daily, and the scans often enough.
Spybot and Adaware programs are interesting because they appear to work, and be continually working. You don't find out how badly they work until you get a serious set of infestations.

I downloaded Spyware Doctor and installed it. The final step of the installation is to download the malware removal databases from PCTools via its Smart Update. This fails (repeatedly) as something has blocked all spyware, malware sites. Smart Update gives a link to contact PCTools support, but this is blocked.

Any thoughts on how to get past whatever is blocking all spyware, malware sites? All other sites are accessible.

Spybot is pretty useless anyway... it is basically just a remover of simple spyware and cookies... It is not capable of removing any of the top 12 spyware ... and when it does, it cannot keep up with the updates.
I completely agree with you that Spybot SD has seen better days as a malware removal tool. That said, I still install it in every machine I have the opportunity.

Spybot manages the "hosts" file with its "immunize" function, is a very capable startup manager, and helps to prevent registry changes via the "teatimer". These capabilities IMO, are worth keeping it around. Since all the freeware versions of our most recommended anti-spyware programs are only passive, scan on demand solutions, there isn't a chance of software conflict, and I stick with Spybot for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back