Spyware Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Let`s see if we can get your system cleaned up.

Go HERE and follow the instructions exactly.

Post a fresh HJT log into this thread, only after doing the above.

I have moved your post to it`s own thread. This will save any confusion.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I did detect virus and trogen

McAfee did detect the trogen and viruses but could not clean them and could not quarenteen them or delete them . So I know they are still there. I am running the virus scan from trendmicro now and did finish one other scan from kaspersky. It takes a long time to finish so I will probrably post the results tomorrow. I really appreciate your help, I was going crazy trying to fix my sons pc .

I am really stuck now! Dr Watson postmortem

This is where I am at now. I could not get to send you any reports because screen freezes. Then Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger came on screen.
This was in error report Dr Watson found:
C:\DOCUME~1\eddie\local~1temp\WER87a5.dir00\dwtsn32.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~\eddie\local~TEMP\WER87a5.dir00\appcompat.txt
I ran Trend MICRO housecall, Kaspersky and Bit Defender. There were 5 viruses and 1 trogen listed. I downloaded hjt but the zip file went into winzip to open, then I read if winzip unzips hjt records won`t be saved. I went on the computer today and the computer won`t respond now. It freezes and then Dr Watson came on. This is happening on my sons screen name .My name , Lorraine , is the administrator and it works fine. Now I don`t know what to do. Will running these tests and scans on my screen name work to cure his files? Do I need to run all the scans again from my administrator name? I am really getting a bit confused now with what I should or should not do. HJT went to winzip to get unzipped so I messed that up. I know when Mcafee found the trogen , it could not delete it or quarenteen it nor clean it. Can I get the information from those virus scan thru my administrator name to send you ? I do not know how. I am so glad I found this forum for help, I am still going crazy with this problem. Should I re download hjt in my administrator name , how can I open it without using winzip? Please advise on what I should do next. I am sending you this thru my second computer, I hope the trogen dosen`t get to my notebook. We do not share files, only wireless Linksys router. My sons xbox 360 connects to his computer for music.Can that get infected too?? I am very worried :(
The Mom

the xbox can get infected depending on the viruses, I would recommend not connecting until this is all cleaned up. You could always format the computer, if its crashing and running so slowly and you can't do anything, then that could be a major problem. It would be hard to fix because everythign would be running so slowly. Remember, doing this would loose all your data.... ***all of it***. You could also try a system restore, returning your computer back to a previous state when you had no viruses. The problem with that is that you loose everything you have done from that point on.

Many trojans and viruses cannot be removed by anti-virus programs. try searching the name of your virus then "fix" after it in google, download any programs that look helpful, and run them. I recently had a couple trojans/viruses that took ages to get rid of, even with my anti virus (AVG).

A Hijackthis log is very important to get, they can make or break your chances of getting rid of these threats. If the computer freeses while trying to do this, reboot and try again. The people on this site know how to work these and can help you out a lot more if you can get just one log onto here.

If I can use administrator name

If I can use administrator name (Lorraine) instead of my sons (eddie)to get the hjt report. How do you unzip it without using winzip? There is no very important data on the computer because I backed up my stuff on cd`s a long time ago. Maybe I should reformat it to get the trogen and viruses out. I will decide to if I can`t use my name to run the hjt. Son`s screen name just locks up and I can`t do anything . Thanks for your reply Piklemeup

you should be trying to clean under safe mode. But the real administrator account should work..

If you are using windows ME or above, there should already be native .zip support- it treats it like a normal explorer window (kinda)

See how you go with things first....

I am having trouble submiting ewido report

I save report in my documents as a text report because I don`t know how to save it to notepad.Anyway , I get error trying to upload saying invalid txt

Just right click on the HJT log and select rename. Click in the title box and type .txt and hit the enter key.

You should now be able to attach the file.

Regards Howard :)

I want to give up and reformat drive

I quit trying to get the trogens and viruses off. I will just need advice on how to reinstall my os . My computer came with windows ME and I did buy the windows XP upgrade . I deleted windows ME after the upgrade to make space. I don`t want to save any files and just fix XP because the trogens will still be in the files. I need to reinstall ME then run the XP upgrade .I tried using the cd`s the Gateway supplied for reinstalling ME but the screen kept saying reboot over and over. Please advise how to fix my mess. My mom is tired of trying to fix it after I got the viruses and trogens on her old computer. I never reinstalled a system before. Thanks in advance, eddie(iwario)

I put the upgrade disk in and it says "repair windows" "delete" or press escape.No option to to a clean reinstall. It won`t delete the xp on it now because it says it needs the files to install xp. I have the windows ME boot disc and tried to reinstall windows ME and then use the xp upgrade disk but it won`t do anything except show a blue screen with different install options on a long help file but there is nothing to start the reinstall. How can I format the hard drive and reinstall windows ME the do the "upgrade to XP"?

A thank you

I just wanted to thank all you guys for the help with all my computer problems. I have done a complete format and reinstalled windows on the computer.Iwario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back