Spyware Terminator, ClamAV and NOD32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jungchen

Hi everybody,
I'm running NOD32 as antivirus and Comodo as firewall on my computer.
I was looking for a free-real time protection against spyware and found Spyware Terminator.
My question is, during the install of the programme, I installed ClamAV (which is obviously an antivirus).
So, can NOD32 and CLamAV (which is integrated in the real time protection shield of Spyware Terminator) work together on the same machine without interfering with one another?
Any advice or feedback about Spyware Termiantor would be nice,
thanks

Hi,

Please see HERE for more information on Spyware Terminator. It was delisted in 2006, but that does not signify it is good for use though.

Some of the best and trusted programs can be found HERE.

Regardless of software brand, it is not recommended to run more than one antivirus and one firewall at any point of time as it may slow down your system or even cause serious conflicts.

I would recommend you uninstall Spyware terminator and ClamAV and stick to NOD32 and Comodo. Both are recommended programs and certainly provide a strong defence for your system. If you are looking to up the security level on your system, here are some other miscelleneous programs which I recommend.
Spybot Search & Destroy. < use this if you have no other real time monitoring programs such as spyware doctor.
Ccleaner.

That said, the best form of protection is still knowledge and sensible online user habits.
May I recommend you to read this article.

Should you have any further problems, please post in this thread.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of Junchen only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I read the article about the trusted programmes you gave me,
So would u suggest that I uninstall Spyware Terminator and Install SpywareGuard instead?
I already use Spywareblaster, AdAware 2007, SpyBotSD and of course the excellent Ccleaner! But I still have some spyware issues for no obvious reasons. So I want to install a FREE real-time anti-spyware soft.
Is SpywareGuard a better choice than Spyware Terminator? I find that Spyware Terminator looks very promising, and it may become one of the good free anti-spywares out there.

Hi,

Quite frankly, I do not really see the need for one more program. I personally use AdAware, AVG antispyware, SpyBot, CCleaner, AVG Antivrus and Comodo. It's fairly similar to your setup, considering you have NOD for your antivirus choice. If you really wish to obtain another peice of software for antispyware, I would recommend AVG.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of Jungchen only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I use the free edition. It is quite good enough for me, I find.
Usually paid for editions are used by official organisations, corporations and schools.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of Jungchen only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hello I work for Spyware Terminator and wish to respond to your concerns.

Please be aware that the listing on SpywareWarrior was only precautionary and was not due to anything malicious found in the software. Please read Eric Howes' reply on DSLReports forums for information about the listing. It should clear any confusion about this listing:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16652263

(post by eburger68 on 2006-08-19 at 08:18:52)

Hi All:

Since the note at Spyware Warrior regarding Spyware Terminator has become a subject of discussion, let me say a few things about that note.

First, it's important to read the note carefully and not read into it more than is there. For instance, we never claimed that Spyware Terminator was malware itself (in fact, we also said quite clearly that it wasn't) or that Spyware Terminator was involved in the distribution of malware.

We said the the company behind Spyware Terminator had at one time distributed adware, and we initially listed the product on the Rogue/Suspect list because of that connection, until we could get a better sense for the company's course of behavior following its decision to exit the adware business.

Second, it's important to recognize that the Rogue/Suspect list includes a wide variety of products. On the low end, we list products that are bad at what they purport to do -- detect and remove spyware and adware. On the high end we have products that install malware themselves, that hijack users' PCs, or that use fraudulent tactics to push their products on unsuspecting consumers.

My point is, don't assume that because a product is listed on the Rogue/Suspect list that the product or company behind the product is guilty of the worst behavior imaginable. Take the time to read our notes regarding the product.

Third, when we de-list a product, as we did with Spyware Terminator, we do so with the confidence and expectation that the vendors have rectified the problems identified with the product or the practices associated with the product. In this case, the problem was our uncertainty over the vendor's own trustworthiness, given its historical connection to adware distribution. We de-listed the product because the vendor had satisified our concerns. And, I can report, the vendor continues to satisfy our concerns.

We document the product de-listings that we perform, because we think readers of the page deserve to know what happened with a particular paroduct that they know was once listed. As I've told several vendors at this point, "We don't do memory holes at Spyware Warrior."

But it's important that those de-listing notes not be taken for more than they are. They certainly shouldn't be regarded as a kind of "scarlet letter" that forever marks a product -- that's certainly not how we created the de-listing notes.

To those who are debating whether or not to give Spyware Terminator a trial, my advice would be to do so. We don't recommend the product at Spyware Warrior, but that's no reason for readers here not to try the product, if they are so inclined. Spyware Terminator is not malicious in any way and poses no danger to your system. If you encounter what you suspect to be a false positive in its scan results, tehn you should handle it the way you would false positives with any other product: report it/them to the vendor so that they can be corrected.

My apologies for the lengthy interjection here, but I wanted to make sure that folks were clear on just what the Rogue/Suspect list is and how it functions.

Best,

Eric L. Howes

We fully stand behind the quality of Spyware Terminator and feel is a high quality solution that everyone should use to protect their computer, for free mind you.

There has never been adware or malware or anything with Spyware Terminator. It is has always been free and 100% clean and up to par with the standards peoeple set forth for antispyware programs.

Spyware Terminator works perfectly fine with all popular security software such as Comodo and NOD32 and most security experts say you should run more than one antispyware program to maintain the integrity of your computer and we feel Spyware Terminator fills the bid quite nicely, especially since it is 100% free.

If you have any further questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reply here, or to send me a personal message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back