Square Enix announces Project Prelude Rune, a new RPG from freshly minted Studio Istolia

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Square Enix on Tuesday announced a new role playing game project from a brand new studio out of Tokyo. Details are a bit scant at this hour but here’s everything we know thus far.

Project Prelude Rune, as the game is tentatively being called, is being produced by Hideo Baba who will also serve as the head of Studio Istolia. Baba, a veteran with 18 years of experience in game development, joined Namco in 2001 and is perhaps best known for his work on the “Tales” series.

Square Enix says the new RPG is to unfold across a vast land teeming with life. Nurtured by the land, the people that inhabit it dare to dream and fight for what is just, the story goes.

The name “Istolia” is derived from the Greek word for “story” and is said to be central to the studio’s primary goal of providing unforgettable stories that will both inspire players in their own lives and bring new game experiences to everyone around the world.

Outside of some accompanying concept art, this is pretty much all we have to go on right now. Square Enix promises to share further details on Project Prelude Rune at a later date.

Permalink to story.

It actually looks like this could be good. If Square can remember that it's a JRPG company that excels at making JRPGs instead of trying to chase after audiences that don't actually exist, this could end up being a really good game. I've given Square a lot of crap since... when did FFX come out? But with FF15, it looks like they have finally turned a page and remembered who they are.

How about devote all your resources to finish off Kindom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy VII Remake before starting on another project aye Square?

It actually looks like this could be good. If Square can remember that it's a JRPG company that excels at making JRPGs instead of trying to chase after audiences that don't actually exist, this could end up being a really good game. I've given Square a lot of crap since... when did FFX come out? But with FF15, it looks like they have finally turned a page and remembered who they are.

They'll never remember nor get back to who they were. Because it was Squaresoft that produced all those classics JRPG. Final Fantasy X & Final Fantasy X-2 was the final games in the series that Squaresoft made.

Square Enix on the other hand has barely ever produced a decent JRPG.

Last edited:
I'm well ware of that. I remember the great merger. Squaresoft, the RPG maker that crafted some of the best stories but had weak combat systems. Enix, the RPG make that had great combat systems but weak stories. With their powers combined, we got weak stories and weak combat. Oh how my heart sunk.
But, with FF15, Some of the old glory has been recaptured and I'm willing to give Square a chance to impress.

I'm well ware of that. I remember the great merger. Squaresoft, the RPG maker that crafted some of the best stories but had weak combat systems. Enix, the RPG make that had great combat systems but weak stories. With their powers combined, we got weak stories and weak combat. Oh how my heart sunk.
But, with FF15, Some of the old glory has been recaptured and I'm willing to give Square a chance to impress.

I was very happy with the merger when I first heard about it. Like you said with Squaresoft's expertise with Final Fantasy and Enix in titles like Star Oceans, Thousand Arms.. etc I thought this was a match made in heaven.

As a result Square Enix became shadows of their former selves, instead of sticking with tradition and to what they know best. They tried too hard to cater their games towards the Western audience. Can't believe it's taken them this long for them to try and return to their roots.

Final Fantasy XV was good but nowhere near as magical like the past Final Fantasy games but it's a step in the right direction.

Hopefully they won't drop the ball with both Kingdom Hearts 3 & Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Back