TechSpot

SSD mSATA

By Jeanvion
Sep 30, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Okay, so I think I made a little screw up... I bought myself a Crucial m4 64GB mSATA SSD and when opening the packet I noticed it was very mini... I'm not completely sure but I think it's for laptops only, can somebody confirm this for me so I can send back if necessary in time?
  2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,305   +265

It's for laptops or special motherboards that use mSATA caching or some all-in-one units.
  3. Jeanvion

Jeanvion TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 35

Thank you for the confirmation! I will send it back immediately, lucky I'm still in the return period.
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,970   +1,485

GhostRyder likes this.
  5. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,207   +518

I was about to post the same thing till I noticed you beat me to it Clifford!

Yea, msata requires a special adapter on the motherboard, ive seen mostly laptops have them recently but you can get desktop motherboard with it now. However Im glad you can return it first and get a regular SSD.
  6. Jeanvion

Thank you for the clear information guys! I have shipped it back to it origins but it's good to know that if they make a fuz about it I still have a backup option with the adapter! Great
  7. Jeanvion

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,970   +1,485

There is a 5 start rating on Newegg as well. I think you made a good choice. :)

Happy computing with the new SSD.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.