Stalling boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first post on here so hi....

I have an additional old PC (about 5-6yrs) in my office that I use for small tasks & since I did a fresh OS install (XP Pro) about 6 mths ago it has been stalling on the 'Press delete to enter setup' screen for about 2 mins & then continues to boot up. Once up & running everything works fine but I'm just getting impatient with it now so any recommendations?

It never stalled prior to fresh install of OS.

System is: MoBo-ASUS A7V133-C Athlon 1.4g/133mhz 256mg RAM

Matt

What does it do on that screen? Counting RAM, detecting hard drives and CD-ROM?

If you have some giant logo there, go to BIOS setup and disable the splash screen to get some more information about what is going on.

Nodsu, It doesn't seem to be doing anything (visual anyway). It displays bios version, MoBo model, EPA logo(energy star) & at the bottom it has the 'press del to enter setup' command with flashing cursur (if I press del it will 'eventually' enter bios). This system hasn't been connected to the internet so no upgrades, thinking maybe try to do fresh overwrite of OS & see what happens? This problem could still be there though so still need advice.

Thanks

Matt

OK. So what happens immediately after the delay ends?

I would still guess that it is detecting floppy, hard or optical drives and something is broken.

Nodsu, once delay ends it goes through standard process of detecting everything & then shows the XP Pro logo with 'timer' bar for about 15 secs & then wollah, the desktop. Everything works fine once I'm using the system, no dramas with any hardware or software, smooth sailing. It just seems to be the delay at start.

Could it be a case of updating BIOS or maybe a CMOS refresh? I'm only guessing that it's motherboard related.

Matt

Is all the hardware detected?

Maybe someone set the hard drive spin-up delay in BIOS?

ended up doing a fresh install after backing up all files & everything runs fine now, must have been the OS somewhere.

Thanks Nodsu for your help.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back