Standby mode won't resume properly - Screen freezed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryanxxl

Hi all!

Got quite a challenging situation to crack.

My System details:

Intel(R) Pendium (R) Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80ghz

Windows Xp Service pack 2

1 GB of RAM

Graphic card is integrated - Intel Graphics Media Accelarator Driver

(It's quite decent, being able to play PES 2009 with a sound graphic display)

Standby procedures:

I used a program to only wake up my computer automatically. It was successful in doing so until recently.

Recent Troubles:

I was having problems with my internet connection. I thought it was my mistake and attempted to solve the situation by going to the control panel - Administrative tools - services.

There, I changed the:

1) DHCP client
2) COM+Event system and
3) COM+Event application

from manual to automatic.

As this didn't cut it, I set everything back to defaults (1 and 3 were already automatic).

It was on my ISP provider's end that the problem were and ultimately, they solved it by changing my port of connection (What they told me!).

Its Just after that event that I noticed my screen was blank when being automatically woke up.

Actual Problem:

When the program through scheduler task is automatically triggered to wake my computer from standby, the harddisk did wake up (green light stop blinking and I hear the Power fan went back on) but not my screen. The light remains orange, not turning to green as it should.

My keyboard remains dead also. I noticed that on some attempts, only my number lock light would get on but would freezed. No response occurred when pressing on any keys.

I used an optic mouse which light did stayed on.

I've tried to manually wake my computer by pressing on the start button, the result is the same as describe above.

I then have to shutdown the pc by keeping the start button pressed for 4 seconds, after which I will get a scandisk procedure, indicating that windows was not normally shutdown.

Observation:

In device manager - IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, there is a duplicate for my primary IDE channel and secondary IDE channel. Under the heading "Processors", Intel(R) Pendium (R) Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80ghz is also duplicated.

There was also a duplicate for the Plug and play monitor. I uninstalled one of them but its back again.

Any input will be much appreciated.:)

Thanks

Update XP to Service Pack 3, and include all the other missing Critical and Optional MS updates while you are at it

What has me thrown was that it was working before changing some settings to a few services. Unless these somehow made substantial changes to your registry, I'm not able to draw a line to your changes to items 1 - 3 as the cause. From the sound of it, the drivers have some duplication issues, which might be more of the direction to head in, so this is my suggestion.

I'm going to throw a guess in the direction of a driver is not returning from sleep correctly. It's probably crashing when the computer is put to sleep and not responding when woken up. It's hard to tell which driver is responsible for this, but I'd start with the video chip. They're usually the easiest to upgrade, and most complex to the system. Then try the audio chip... followed by the drivers for your motherboard...

Service Pack 3 might help, at least you'll be closer to current on your security updates as well. But I don't think it alone will have new enough drivers to resolve the conflicts.

Hi all!

Thanks for the responses.

I've reinstall all the drivers but the problem remains. Everything mentioned in my first post just get duplicated again after restart.

I haven't upgrade to Service pack 3 though.

Additional observations::

1) The problem also occurs when I use Hibernation.

2) In S1 standby mode, I can resume without any trouble. You can hear that the operating system is working even in S1 standby mode.

3) In S3 standby mode, the screen won't resume when being woke up.

4) I upgraded firefox just before the troubles start. Can this be the source of my misery?

5) All my playlists in windows media player has been duplicated. It happens before I do any reinstallation.

I hope that someone can help me with this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back