TechSpot

Standby no longer works

By domer7
Nov 24, 2007
  1. My computer no longer goes into Standby mode when I select Start - Turn Off Computer - Standby, where the Power Supply powers down. This happened seeral months ago when I was getting a glitch at startup that eventually was traced to a defective power supply. I put in an undersized loaner (350W) until I could buy and install a new PS. I assumed the inability to go to Standby was a power supply issue. Today I installed a new Hiper 530W PS and still cannot get it to go to standby mode. I have checked the Power Options in Control Panel and under Power Schemes - System Standby, Never is the option selected. I am going to try to select "After 5 Hours" and see if that affects the Standby mode.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe MB running Windows XP Home, 2 GB RAM, AMD 64, Socket 939 3300+ CPU with two internal IDE hard drives and one external USB Drive.

Thanks, domer

2. BlameCanada

BlameCanada TS Rookie Posts: 356

Some process is running that is preventing stand by (you knew that:blackeye: )

- go into the task manager and end all non Microsoft processes,then try stand by.

- disconnect from WAN then LAN

- roll back any hardware or software changes,or Windows updates or BIOS setttings.

- disable screensaver.

3. domer7

domer7 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thaks for the reply.

Without the processes being readily identified as Microsoft processe, how do I determine which ones are or aren't?

4. BlameCanada

BlameCanada TS Rookie Posts: 356

Go into msconfig start up tab and uncheck everything except the firewall,

(the firewall may not be in there,it might be run as a service)

then restart the computer,then try stand-by.

If that doesn`t work go back to msconfig click on the Services tab,

then put a check in the "Hide all Microsoft services" box then

uncheck the ones left.Apply/restart computer.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.