Standby no longer works

Status
Not open for further replies.

domer7

My computer no longer goes into Standby mode when I select Start - Turn Off Computer - Standby, where the Power Supply powers down. This happened seeral months ago when I was getting a glitch at startup that eventually was traced to a defective power supply. I put in an undersized loaner (350W) until I could buy and install a new PS. I assumed the inability to go to Standby was a power supply issue. Today I installed a new Hiper 530W PS and still cannot get it to go to standby mode. I have checked the Power Options in Control Panel and under Power Schemes - System Standby, Never is the option selected. I am going to try to select "After 5 Hours" and see if that affects the Standby mode.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe MB running Windows XP Home, 2 GB RAM, AMD 64, Socket 939 3300+ CPU with two internal IDE hard drives and one external USB Drive.

Thanks, domer

Some process is running that is preventing stand by (you knew that:blackeye: )

- go into the task manager and end all non Microsoft processes,then try stand by.

- disconnect from WAN then LAN

- roll back any hardware or software changes,or Windows updates or BIOS setttings.

- disable screensaver.

Thaks for the reply.

Without the processes being readily identified as Microsoft processe, how do I determine which ones are or aren't?

Go into msconfig start up tab and uncheck everything except the firewall,

(the firewall may not be in there,it might be run as a service)

then restart the computer,then try stand-by.

If that doesn`t work go back to msconfig click on the Services tab,

then put a check in the "Hide all Microsoft services" box then

uncheck the ones left.Apply/restart computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back