Star Trek Voyager Elite Force Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning peoples,

The forums available for STVOY:EF support are pants and you lot seem pretty helpful so here goes!

I just purchased the Star Trek Action Pack which is EF, EFXP Armada and Armada II. Installed EF and upon entering, all the menus are flashing like hell. Enter the game and I have a similar effect. Mainly over the bottom half of the screen.

My system is in my profile the rest is here:
DX9.0
Windows XP Pro
Hyperion 4.45 drivers from Via
Nvidia Detonator 42.86

Solutions suggested so far have been:
Disable AGP Texturing
Remove DX9 and install 7 or 8
Reinstall/different display drivers
Reinstall Chipset Drivers
Disable Anisotropic Filtering
Disable GL Extensions
Reduce Screen Res
Up refresh rate
Delete .cfg files to allow EF to recreate them
Turning Sync Every Frame ON or OFF
Reinstall Game

Game is pre patched to version 1.2

None of these have worked so far.

Can anyone help please? I'm desparate to play this game now I have it. Old or not!

Thanks everyone

I played this recently with a 9700 Pro with DX9, W2k Pro. So I don't think its an issue with DX9 (even though it won't be using anything over DX8 features). Do you have any other QuakeIII based games installed on your system, do they also display similar problems?

When you have tried different drivers have you completely obliterated the previous drivers? Using the uninstall from Nvidia usually leaves some dlls and other driver files in place. Doing a search for nv*.dll will display a list of Nvidia dlls that you can remove after doing a standard nvidia uninstall. The only non nvidia dlls that a search showed up on my system were for Lotus Notes so if you have that don't delete them ;)
I used to use the Detonator Destroyer from www.guru3d.com when I had a GF3 but it only works with 98 and ME systems :(

I also had a friend who had flickering textures with Medal Of Honor when he was using a Nvidia beta, non WHQL driver like the 42.86 your using (which as far as I know was one released to boost FX 3dmark03 scores).
I would suggest as other have that you should use the last WHQL ones, 40.72.

Also I have read a few posts over at www.amdforums.com where people have reported having problems with Hyperion drivers. Have you tried the previous version from Via, v4.43?

Actually I did try and use a detonator removal proggie. Can't remember what it's called at the moment, but it errored during use and I didn't go in and remove them myself.

I'll try doing so manually and see if it helps. As for Q3A games I have Q3A running on my machine at the moment and I haven't had any problems with it, although I haven't played it in several weeks, maybe even since I last upped the drivers (D3D games have been better with the 42.86's). Will have a try of that too. I think the 41.XX and above have a couple of different files to the earlier detonators which might interfere if left behind. Shame the guru3d detonator destroyer doesn't support XP yet...

40.72's it is I guess. New machine coming in a couple of months so things will change a lot then. Going to go for an ATI R350 based card, DDR, nForce2 etc bring myself nice and up to date. Hopefully all will work fine then but I'd like to get it going now of course.

I'll let you know how I do. Thanks for the suggestions.

Originally posted by starfury6
I'll let you know how I do. Thanks for the suggestions.

Your welcome. Welcome to TechSpot forums BTW :wave:

I can't think of anything else right now but if I come across any other info I'll post it. If your really really desperate to play EF then you could give in to the fix of all fixes and do a fresh install of the OS :(

Thanks for the welcome Arris.

I am planning on trashing the whole thing and building a new one in about 2 months time so if I can resist the reinstall option I will. How much space does a minimum Win98 install take up as a dual boot option on my existing system? Thought I could just put one in to try EF that way. Thoughts?

BTW I found this on the amdmb forums you directed me to:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=3233&cat=28

Sounds like that's the thing to try!

I can't get the link to work. But thanks for the update. Too often people find a fix but don't post back leaving the post as an open ended waste :)

Woo hoo! I removed the nvidia drivers rebooted and cancelled the auto install of the new hardware. I then ran the file remover utility from MajorGeeks, and cleaned the registry and Windows manually of anything left behind. Rebooted. I then installed the 40.71 WHQL certified drivers and low and behold, the game is fine! Damned fine in fact! I did have to run a 40.xx fix utility to make the NVidia cpl work properly. The later drivers don't seem to have that problem. Will probably wait for a new WHQL certified set if I ever change again. (This machine will be in the hands of my fiancee when I get my new machine!!).

Thanks very much for the help! Probably see me lurking around from time to time!

Cool glad you got to play EF :)
Been playing at 1600x1200 max everything. Sweet game considering its been around for a while now.
I've had some weird problems in the past when I've installed new detonators and its not been a perfectly clean install. If I still had a Geforce I'd be getting hold of that detonator cleaner now :)
Cya around the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back