Star Wars Battlefront team start work on new Battlefield game, set for release next year

midian182

Staff member

Dice developmental director Dan Vaderlind has announced on Twitter that, now Dice Stockholm has finished development of Star Wars: Battlefront, most of the team will be moving onto the next Battlefield game.

Vaderline said that a small portion of those involved in the development of Star Wars: Battlefront would be staying behind to support the game, presumably working on DLC and dealing with any online issues. The rest will be moving onto the next Battlefield game in the series.

Back in 2014, EA announced that Dice was working on “the next Battlefield experience,” and that it would be out before the end of the year in 2016. Both Vaderlind and EA avoided calling the game Battlefield 5, so there’s always the chance that the franchise could return to the Bad Company sub-series.

EA moved away from Battlefield's military roots in March when it published Battlefield: Hardline. The cops and robbers themed title was met with mixed reviews, although it was Visceral Games who led the development of Hardline, with collaboration from Dice.

Last month saw the release of the multiplayer-focused Star Wars: Battlefront. Despite the game proving popular and selling relatively well, EA will be disappointed that early sales figures haven’t matched the likes of The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4. The release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens later this week, however, may see a rise in SW: Battlefront sales.

Even though it launched with a number of bugs back in 2013, Battlefield 4 is still enjoyed by millions of players every day. Dice have no doubt taken note of this, and a return to military-based action with Battlefield 5 next year seems likely. Alternatively, Dice may follow in Call of Duty’s footsteps and re-introduce some futuristic warfare to the franchise by returning to the much-loved Battlefield 2142 spin-off, which is something many fans would like to see.

Permalink to story.

Like usual, EA is going to leave their not really complete game and start on the next one. I guess they figured they eeked the bulk of what they can out of it given poor reviews are circulating from secondary media outlets.

EA will continue to do so as long as customers continue to buy.

I seriously hope it's not a 2142 spin-off, wasn't much of a fan of that take on the whole experience, didn't feel as balanced as it could be. What's truly unfortunate to hear is they plan on making this game and releasing it in less than a single year, this often leads to incomplete aspects of the title, although you can more than bet they will have paid for DLC available before the game is released. Battlefield has been going downhill the last few releases, I sadly fear this will be much of the same again, unfinished, glitchy, bug ridden, game braking problems that will take 3-6 months to fix...

"EA announced that Dice was working on “the next Battlefield experience,” and that it would be out before the end of the year in 2016."

Or to the people who know what to expect they should read it as "playable by summer 2017".

Even though it launched with a number of bugs back in 2013, Battlefield 4 is still enjoyed by millions of players every day. Dice have no doubt taken note of this, and a return to military-based action with Battlefield 5 next year seems likely. Alternatively, Dice may follow in Call of Duty’s footsteps and re-introduce some futuristic warfare to the franchise by returning to the much-loved Battlefield 2142 spin-off, which is something many fans would like to see.

Yea great Idea make 2142 so about 100 people will be happy. Its a shame that the BF franchise has gone downhill. I never played call of duty but it might b time to give it a try. Hardline was the biggest joke ever

I play BF4 with a couple of the guys from DICE and they have been working on this for a while now, although they were not allowed to tell us what they were working on besides Battlefront they have been working on BF5. It is a more modernized version of their older original games not 2142... so relax =) It will be great unless EA gets their hands in the mix and rips out the best part of the game for DLC...which hopefully won't happen. Also if there are no hosted servers like Battlefront it will be a pile of **** anyway so lets hope they don't screw the pooch on that one also.

I'd Love to see Bad Company 3. The BFBC series still tried somewhat for the weapon accuracy and squad play of the BF culture, but it didn't take itself as seriously. Oh the joy of getting that lucky tracer hit on a gunship and watching a Carl Gustav cork screw off into the sky and take the bugger down. The pure & mayhem of Destruction 2.0 was a satisfying in its own right.

As others have already mentioned, I can't believe they are leaving battlefront as it is. It is a shell of a game in comparison to battlefield. It's like a dumbed down tutorial for battlefield. I'm worried they are using most of the same team!

Again no pre-order for me, I will wait for reviews to come in first, I don't care what perks they will give for pre-ordering.

Is the time right to go back to their roots and do some WWII on the new engines? I haven't played CoD or Battlefield since they became futuristic shooters, but surely they've worn out future warfare and running on walls.

Yeah I think a BF5 or another Bad Company would be their most successful. I am interested in a BF 2143 but as stated above there were balance issues in that game. I would certainly be a lot more open to weapon tweaks in a game with weapons that don't actually exist. Unlike BF4 and previous military-style shooters, I got annoyed with the constant tweaking of weapons. Just set it at what is most realistic and leave it. Let players complain, some weapons are simply better than others in certain situations. Deal with it... Sorry for the rant, but anyway they better spend time on this release. If they have another half-assed release like BF4 was they will lose even more fan base. I waited over a year before I bought BF4 because it was so buggy. It is pretty solid now so I bought it. I refuse to pay for incomplete crap and if there is a BF5 or another BC and it starts off worse than BF4 did I may just give up on the franchise all together.

BF3 was awesome and BC2 was awesome... BF4 has become awesome, I hope they learn what we like...

I pray that this game will not include the necessity of making buildings and settlements))
Also, I`d like to see the same large maps there. Also, I want to use the tanks, helicopters and other with unlocking them. I adore it and waiting for release with great pleasure!)

Back