TechSpot

Stardock will improve Windows 10's Start menu with Start10

By Scorpus
Feb 25, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. As users of the Windows 10 Technical Preview will know, Windows 10 brings back the Start menu after a lengthy hiatus. The revitalized Start menu includes both a traditional list of desktop applications with a search bar, like we saw...

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

This is a low game by StarDock. The only reason they decided to come up with Start10 is to make sure that those who purchased Start8 will have to buy it again, this time for Windows 10.

Start8 already has everything needed for the menu. But they intentionally won't support Windows 10 with it just so they can sell it again.

And they are renaming their other products now for the same reason. In the meantime, they continue advertising their licenses as life-time, without mentioning they are no use pass the current OS version.

Thieving bastards! :mad:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  3. Teko03

Teko03 TS Maniac Posts: 317   +115

Poor headline choice, "improve".....that is purely subjective. While I feel the current W10 start menu can be better, I certainly wouldn't say the Window 7 style Start Menu is what I want sticking around.

treeski likes this.
  4. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,319   +709

If what you're saying is accurate then I have to agree with your view - that's incredibly low of Stardock and they'll probably be rewarded with a hack to make Start8 work on Windows 10..possibly for free.

5. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,506   +498

This ends up depending on your usage. If sticking to old is improvement for some well then yes, it's an improvement.

6. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 865   +434

Although I was one to squawk about the usability of Win8 metro, I wouldn't say that the old start menu is best. This new win10 one could be just as effective for business use - and that's the whole point.

treeski likes this.
  7. hood6558

hood6558 TS Addict Posts: 240   +58

Why would anyone pay for this? There are many free programs that work great. I have used Classic Shell on Win8, 8.1, and 10 Preview, and it allows you to customize the Start menu with any combination of the old and new features, disable "smart" corners, boot to Desktop, etc. It's the first thing I install on a fresh Windows system. They update frequently, and it always works perfectly. I never have to see the Metro screen once I set my default programs to real Desktop applications of my selection (No "Apps"!). I don't want my $3000 gaming machine to look like "Baby's First Computer by Playskool"

8. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,506   +498

How cool please tell us more on how many fps you get on Minecraft =P

9. Pinkie Pie

Pinkie Pie TS Booster Posts: 62   +29

Classic Shell has a fully customizable start menu that works very well and it is completely free.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  10. Jeffrey Hunt

Jeffrey Hunt TS Rookie

People still use the start menu? :)

11. Namtrooper

Namtrooper TS Rookie

Classicshell.net

12. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

I paid $3cdn for Startisback+ for W8/8.1. Hopefully the W10 start menu will let me leave out the Windows "apps" section.

13. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

I do. I hate desktop icons and having to minimize windows to get to them, so I pin my shortcuts there (even my recycle bin is pinned to my taskbar) and search is still useful, for the same reason as above.

14. Start8 has worked on every single iteration of windows 10 previews so far.