Stardock will improve Windows 10's Start menu with Start10

Scorpus

Staff member

stardock windows start start10 start menu start8 windows 10

As users of the Windows 10 Technical Preview will know, Windows 10 brings back the Start menu after a lengthy hiatus. The revitalized Start menu includes both a traditional list of desktop applications with a search bar, like we saw in Windows 7, alongside a selection of tiles that Windows 8 Start screen users will be familiar with.

For some people, however, Microsoft's implementation of the Start menu in Windows 10 isn't close enough to the good ol' times of Windows 7. This is where Stardock's latest application, Start10, will help you out.

Start10 is the effective successor to Start8, Stardock's popular application that brought the Start menu back to Windows 8. Although Windows 10 already includes the Start menu, and allows you to hide Windows 8-style tiles if you so choose, Start10 goes a step further in reuniting users with the ideal Start menu implementation.

Rather than including a mish-mash of interfaces, Start10 uses a classic design (with Modern stylings) that users of Windows 7 will be familiar with. You can use it to launch desktop and modern apps without seeing tiles, access jump lists and context menus (removed in Windows 10), and search without the search bar always occupying space in the taskbar.

Start10 is designed to be a full replacement of the Windows 10 Start menu, and includes many customization options that allow you to personalize your experience. One such option allows you to bring back transparency and rounded corners, for example.

For those with an existing Object Desktop subscription, Start10 is available to download as a free beta, and requires the Windows 10 January Technical Preview. A public beta isn't available right now, although hopefully one isn't too far away.

Permalink to story.

This is a low game by StarDock. The only reason they decided to come up with Start10 is to make sure that those who purchased Start8 will have to buy it again, this time for Windows 10.

Start8 already has everything needed for the menu. But they intentionally won't support Windows 10 with it just so they can sell it again.

And they are renaming their other products now for the same reason. In the meantime, they continue advertising their licenses as life-time, without mentioning they are no use pass the current OS version.

Thieving bastards! :mad:

Last edited:
Poor headline choice, "improve".....that is purely subjective. While I feel the current W10 start menu can be better, I certainly wouldn't say the Window 7 style Start Menu is what I want sticking around.

This is a low game by StarDock. The only reason they decided to come up with Start10 is to make sure that those who purchased Start8 will have to buy it again, this time for Windows 10.

Start8 already has everything needed for the menu. But they intentionally won't support Windows 10 with it just so they can sell it again.

And they are renaming their other products now for the same reason. In the meantime, they continue advertising their licenses as life-time, without mentioning they are no use pass the current OS version.

Thieving bastards! :mad:

If what you're saying is accurate then I have to agree with your view - that's incredibly low of Stardock and they'll probably be rewarded with a hack to make Start8 work on Windows 10..possibly for free.

This ends up depending on your usage. If sticking to old is improvement for some well then yes, it's an improvement.

Although I was one to squawk about the usability of Win8 metro, I wouldn't say that the old start menu is best. This new win10 one could be just as effective for business use - and that's the whole point.

Why would anyone pay for this? There are many free programs that work great. I have used Classic Shell on Win8, 8.1, and 10 Preview, and it allows you to customize the Start menu with any combination of the old and new features, disable "smart" corners, boot to Desktop, etc. It's the first thing I install on a fresh Windows system. They update frequently, and it always works perfectly. I never have to see the Metro screen once I set my default programs to real Desktop applications of my selection (No "Apps"!). I don't want my $3000 gaming machine to look like "Baby's First Computer by Playskool"

I paid $3cdn for Startisback+ for W8/8.1. Hopefully the W10 start menu will let me leave out the Windows "apps" section.

Last edited:
Start8 has worked on every single iteration of windows 10 previews so far.

Back