TechSpot

Start 2 OS on Same Machine

By ds_pandit
Oct 6, 2006
  1. Hi all!!!
    My question may be somewhat wrong:confused:
    I have 2 OS viz. Windows XP & Windows 2000 on the same machine. On Xp there is MS Office 2003 & on Win 2000 there is MS Office XP. Now I developed one small VB exe (offcource related with my work) on Win 2000 platform which is having the dependancies of Office XP. Now when I want to build the same exe on Win XP platform, I have to reboot my machine, logon to Win XP, make related changes, references etc for Office 2003 & again I have to build the exe.
    Now my question is , is there any software which can start 2 OS at one time on the same machine?? if so I can start Win XP & Win 2000 at the same time to build exe.

Thanks in advance

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

You need a virtualization software such as VMware for that.

3. ds_pandit

ds_pandit TS Rookie Topic Starter

Oh! thanks!!!!
    That's great, I will try it & update the forum.

Thanks again.

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

I am pretty sure you can adjust your development environment so that it can fetch the needed files from the other OS installation..

5. ds_pandit

Hi Didou Brou!
    thanks it really works great!!
    but one problem is when I boot in Win 2000, I can't connect to XP.
    I mean it creates memory dump. This situation not happened when I boot in Win 2000 Server & select the virtual machine with Win 2000 Professional.
    If you have any solution then kindly alter the forum.

thanks

6. ds_pandit

Hi Nodsu Brou!
    will u be more specific regarding ur reply. I am using vb as development language. Though I m satisfied with vmvare now, that will be usefull for my knowledge.
    thanks in advance again

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

wouldn't it be easier to export the needed files offline and import them back into the desired OS?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.