Start Icon Disappeared

By Predict
Jan 4, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My windows start icon disappeared off the bar. I can still click where it was and use it, but the icon it self is missing. When I click where the icon suppose to be it works fine. I just cant figure out how to get the icon back to showing. I tryed changing themes and restarting, but nothing helped. Also I am using windows vista home.
  2. trooper_901

trooper_901 Newcomer, in training

try pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL and open task manager. Now on the File menu, select New Task (Run...). Type in "explorer" and press OK. That should restart explorer and display your taskbar.
  3. Ultiweap

Ultiweap TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 742

What Disappeared exactly on the Start button or the taskbar completely?
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Windows Vista Start orb is located under Windows Aero Visual Style (aero.msstyle) and is IMAGE_872 located in C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Aero as a PNG file

I have only seen reports that resetting Explorer will return it
    But it may be to do with a faulty Aero theme or something :confused:

Edit:

Just for fun, here's the Vista Orb for Windows Xp
    http://www.lee-soft.com/viorb/builds/vr1/ViOrb R1.zip
  5. Ultiweap

So if I understand what you say Kimsland, the start logo is and only an image?
  6. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Yes that's right ;)
    An image that can be changed (mind you lots of Hex editing involved, and this is not the forum for it)
  7. Ultiweap

Ok I understand it now.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.