TechSpot

Start programs in high priority

By allc0re
Sep 13, 2003
  1. I'm trying to figure out how to start a program in a different priority than normal on Windows XP Pro. I always want DivX Player to start in high priority on my Movie Box. Thanks.

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Read the help for "start" command..

For example if you do "start /high '<command>'" the command will be run at high prioriy.

3. allc0re

allc0re TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 19

I've found this answer before, but no one has explained how to use it. Do I type it at the command prompt? Can I create a batch file to do this? Can I create a shortcut to run a program with high priority? What I'm looking for is a way to double click an icon and have it start my program in high priority automatically. Can you help? Thanks.

4. Nodsu

You can do all these things.

For example. If you want to play all .divx files in DivX player at high priority:
    In Windows Explorer take Tools->Folder Options->File Types.
    Select the DIVX extension, click advanced.
    Select the "play" action, edit.
    You see a command line similar to 'G:\Program Files\BSPlayer\bplay.exe "%L"'. In your case it will probably be pointing to DivX Player. Change the command line to 'start /high "G:\Program Files\BSPlayer\bplay.exe" "%L"' (or whatever it should be in your case).

If you want a shortcut to run something in high priority, just right click the shortcut, properties. Add "start /high " before whatever you have as "Target". Click OK and you're set.

Another nifty trick is to add "Run at high priority" command to Explorer context menu:
    Open regedit, go to "HKCR\exefile\Shell\". Create a new subkey called "runhigh" (or whatever). Set the default value to "Run at high priority".
    Under your new key create another called "command". Set the default value to 'G:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe /c start "runhigh" /high "%1"' (note the name of the key you created before, the path to cmd.exe is probably different on your system). (This can also be done with tweaking utilities like X-Setup)

5. allc0re

I get an error when I try the shortcut method. (see attatched image) What am I doing wrong? Damn. The image wont attatch.

6. allc0re

trying to attatch image again

Attached Files:

7. Nodsu

I guess windows wants a real executable there..

I now actually tried it.. Copy the thing from the registry:
    (G:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe /c start "runhigh" /high "%1") leaving the original target in the place of %1

8. allc0re

That works great. Thanks for the help!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.