Start Shut off computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sygnet

The last few days for some reason I cannot do command from start prompt to RESTART computer for reboot. or shutdown or any commands
I have to hit the reset button.
Searched help on windows.
Running win xp
Thank you
Just flew in thank you for this forum.:grinthumb

Please be patient, sometimes we cannot get problems solved as quickly as you would like. I am sure someone will get back to you shortly. I will try to find something right now as well.

Well there are a few things you could try.

First while on your desktop with no active windows open press ALT + F4, this should bring up that same menu you would get if you hit Turn off Computer in your start bar. If this works, it could be a temprary solution.

Another thing you could do is run adaware and spybot to look for any malicious files that could be hindering your chances of shutting down. Checking your task manager for any processes running that don't seem like htey should be there would be a good thing too. Sometimes those programs don't pick up everything.

Lastly you could try downloading
this program to do a quick shutdown, it is free. I have not used this, but did find some good things to say about it on the net.

If all of these don't work, then post back and we'll look for more options.

Thank you more

Yes I ran spybot. Adware, reg cleaner, scan disk, defrag everything I could think of.
Looked under help in mickysoft, nothing but perhaps I do not have the right term.

Alt F4 brings up the command window but it clicks but does not shut down or restart :(

Maybe I deleted something on a reg cleanup?? I clean house a lot.
I might go back and install all the cleanups backups and see if it works and then re delete some.

"Patience is a virtue seldom found in men and NEVER found in women"

This such a silly stupid thing it frustrates me I cannot figure it out but being in the arctic tundra there is no tech help here.
Thank you for your kindness.

:confused:

Do this for me: Boot into SAFE mode, and see if you can shutdown/restart properly from safe mode.

To get to safe mode, either at the OS selection screen (If you have one), or just before XP begins to load, tap the F8 key. You will be able to choose SAFE MODE from the list presented.

Yes it will do it in Safe Mode

Sorry am on 26k up here rural. even tho I have a computer that would launch a rocket:(

Yes it does shut down in safe mode.

On miky soft said something about shutdown.exe
Maybe on task schduler I am thinking is problem
***** sevent is pure logic which of course men think in and women think emotionally. So am trying to turn my brain around.
He he.

I went into task schedular and browsed to add the shutdown but it asks for a time... for shutdown.
Well I do not want my computer to shut down everyday at 10 am.. scuse me. So backed out quick

windows xp powerdown

I have recently had a system crash and had to reformat my hd, I reinstalled windows xp pro and my drivers and software but now windows wont powerdown my system after I click shutdown on the startbar. Windows shut's down and tell's me it's safe to turn off the power. I nvere had this problem before. All my drivers and firmware are the same as they were before the crash. The apm service is installed but I can't see a acpi driver when I open my system properties page even when I tell it to display hidden devices and I'm not sure if this is the problem or not or how to fix it if it is. Windows does however restart normaly including turning the power off for a second so the system boots from the motherboard post.... I'm confused. nothing is loose and nothing has changed. Any ideas?

Feel free to send any answers direct to my email too, I really wonna get this fixed.

Thankx,
Dave.

XP Powerdown.

Tried that, APM is on and windows says's it's working correctly and there is and APM drivers in device manager but no APCI driver... My computer is listed as MPS uniprocessor PC. I have tried updating the driver but that's the one it let's me pick. Like I say though, nothing has changed since before that crash, unless my disk had become faulty. :knock:

It's only a minor problem but it's doing my head in more than some of the virus repairs I've done for people.

Try this out at your own risk (it's been known to work on several PCs, but not all).

Go to Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager, select View/Show hidden devices.
If you see some NT Legacy (called something like that) or some device crossed over with a red line, enable that device, then the pc should shut down automatically.
Provided of course that you have a switching PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back