Start up failure- is my hard drive trashed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liyzst

Hi potential helpers!

ive got a P4 3ghz+ windows XP MC2005 and over the last few days its been completely unuseable. I am not necessarily that knowledgable when it comes to computers but i generally can solve up any booting up problems by using safe mode or restore the system settings etc..

However my computer is turning on and loads up the packard bell screen on my monitor (where you can choose to go into BIOS settngs or press F8 for boot up options) then regardless of whether i leave it to continue booting up normally or if i try to get into safe mode the computer just freezes the monitor goes blank (yet stil is receiving signal), on one occassion the monitor has displayed the message "mode is not supported".

When i press the power button all that happens is the fan starts to spin...and i hear very little from the CPU or the harddrive. after around 2-3minsthe fan then starts spinning at its max.

The only thing ive recently tried to do to my computer is attach a 30m CAT5 ethernet cable to a router. And the only other piece of info i think is relevant is that around two weeks ago i stupidly left my PC on when i went on holidayfor 6 days (the comp was doing relatively little whilst it was on) when i got back it hadnt turned off or exploded!! and it has worked perfectly since this incident around 3 days ago i was playing FM07, whilst playing music and was stil able to run limewire inthe bkground.

Please help im really confused how to sort this.. i have no way of doing anything after i have pressed the power button.

cheers neway.. if anyone knows the best way to test my motherboard please reply... would visible burnout damage be apparent if this was the problem as there is none!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back