Start up is talking to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tammy

I know some of you are going to think I am crazy and that's ok. I thougt I was too. I put a new hard drive in a few months back because I built a new computer. And I installed Windows home. Well evrey time I restart my computer or start if up from a cold boot. I can acutally hear a voice saying the computer is starting from boot drive. It's almost like my computer is possed or something. I have never had this happen before. And I am wondering should I try to reformat and install windows again.

If some of you are cb users it sounds like a cd bleeding in, in the back ground.

Any takers on this one.:confused:
Thanks
Tammy

That is scary....
Did it come from the external speakers, the motherboard speaker thing, your head, or that little guy in the case?

Try getting others to listen when you start up, and don't tell them it might make weird noises. See if they hear anything after.

Chris

yes others have heard it too. And it comes from the motherboard it sounds like.

Not the speakers because I can unhook them and still hear it.

Spec's

I hope this is what you are asking. If not please define:

Windows Home SP2
Asus P4P 800 DSE
1 g Ram
p4 3.40 ghz
Gforce Ti 4200

What more do u need.
Thanks
Tam

Weird, I'd open the case and through some holy water onto that mofo mobo! NO I'm just kidding DO NOT do that!! :)

Boot into BIOS screen (usually press DEL or F2 before it reaches loading Windows prompt). Navigate to Main CMOS menu (I think) and somewhere in there you'll see "Boot with full image". Turn that off. See if that stops it.

This started with the new pc or just when you installed a new hdd? or are they one and the same? (i.e happenned together).

Maybe the Narrator is turned on somehow? Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Accessibility > Narrator.

hehe, it's not really scary, allot of motherboards have that(or maybe not?).
My asus a8n-sli deluxe has something similar, if something is wrong(errors on post) it starts to talk!, almost gave me a hart attack a couple of times.

The solution is your bios, check your manual on how to disable it if you can't find it yourself.
To get in the bios, like kirock mentioned, press F2 or del, somewhere between all those menu's and settings should be an option to turn it off.

Hmm I was thinking it was coming from some funky Bios thing because Windows hadn't started yet....but maybe it is some Windows Narrator.

Never could Isolate the cause!!!!!

I would just like to add a coment.

Im kinda relieved somebody has actually had this happen to them, because this was happening to me a couple months ago. It was a female voice, coming from inside the tower and speakers. What sounded like " your carpet may have a problem". no joke! Everytime my computer went into sleep mode and I tried to re-boot, my computer would just freeze at the black start up screen. At first, the delete key or reset button would neutralize the problem and would proceed to start-up as normal. But sometimes it would take me directly into the BIOS screen and sometimes it wouldnt.(Note: when choosing to re-boot from the start menu I would never have this problem)
From the BIOS screen it would always start fine!

As a few weeks passed by the problem started getting worse(harder and harder to start-up) The Red light on my tower would just blink off and on.
A couple of times it took me 20 to 30 minutes to finally get it to boot-up.
Sometimes re-set would work, sometimes Delete, sometimes escape and eve sometimes I would turn it off then back on!
I knew it was just a matter of time before it wouldnt start up at all anymore.

Well it was about that time I started noticing other problems as well. Thats when I found TechSpot and seeked help. Since my computer doesnt go into sleep mode anymore, I no longer have this issue.

Wether or not the problem was related, I'll never no for sure. But it turns out after posting my HJT logs, I had a pretty nasty Infection. Since, cleaning my system, my computer no longer goes into sleep-mode. There-fore I no longer hear that strange little voice.

Xfactor, you can enable "sleep mode" again by going to:
Control panel => Display => screen saver => energy, somewhere there.
I think it's the last tab, it's a checkbox you have to enable.
(have vista now, so can't check)

As for your problem, my first gues is update your bios. Those "voices" you hear are before windows starts up. So it's during the POST that something fails.

What?..... Are you crazy?

lol....just kidding. Thanks for the tip.

I possibly have the wrong Definition of "sleep mode"??

What I meant by sleep mode is that my computer would turn off by itself. Is the same sleep mode when your monitor turns off? I'm confused.

you mean standby?, what i ment was hibrinate. I have a dutch OS, and "slaapstand"(hibrinate) litarly translates to "sleep mode" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back