start-up processes in windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenelan

Hi - I hope this is the right forum to post my question, if not please direct me, thanks.
My computer is clean of any viruses or trojans as I run spy bot and adaware all the time and have norton av and I am on cable. But, my computer is so slow at start-up and I have a ton of processes and I do not know what to do to stop all these at start-up let alone have the knowledge if they are things I need or not. Can anyone direct me on what is critical at start-up and what isn't or maybe where I can find the definitions to all these exe files? There are at least 40+ processes in my task mgr. Not to computer savvy but I am sure ready to learn more! Thanks in advance. Lenelan

First of all Welcome to TechSpot Forums

I would like to help u to improve your computer's start-up power.

Could u pls post a ss of ur taskmanager window so that we can determine which processes causing slow down.

here is my hjt log

I am certainly excited about getting my comouter up to speed. Thanks in advance for all your/everyone's help. Lenelan

PS - let me know if this worked.

Attachments

• 1hijackthis.txt
    9.8 KB · Views: 5
Lenelan said:
Don't want to sound to computer unsavvy but what is SS?
don't feel bad, techies often race to the conclusion and forget that users
don't speak acronyms. guess sports announcers don't either
eg: the D'Backs lost again to ...

plea: can we try to write somewhat like we really speak? Doubt we would ask
another associate "Can I get a SS for problem abc?" Tnx (oops, thanks) ;)

Believe it or not, your startups are pretty normal. Most belong to AOL, Zonealarm, Norton etc... But you could remove startups like Messenger, Winzip, Netscap, Kodak, and Hp share to web.

As for the rest, remove these:

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,First Home Page = C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\welcome.html
F1 - win.ini: load= C:\EASYPH~1\REGISTER\remind.exe
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Browster BrwIEConnector - {908A31E8-2A6E-4736-8E8A-AAF00C4AE38F} - C:\PROGRA~1\Browster\Browster.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UserFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\PROGRA~1\DELLSU~1\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak software updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Browster Prefetch On/Off - res://C:\PROGRA~1\Browster\Browster.dll/CustomPrefetchMenu.htm
O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'connwsp.dll' missing
O16 - DPF: {26CBF141-7D0F-46E1-AA06-718958B6E4D2} - http://download.ebay.com/turbo_lister/US/install.cab
O16 - DPF: {3DC2E31C-371A-4BD3-9A27-CDF57CE604CF} (MSN Money Charting) - http://moneycentral.msn.com/cabs/pmupd806.exe
O16 - DPF: {94B82441-A413-4E43-8422-D49930E69764} (TLIEFlashObj Class) - https://webchat.dell.com/Media/VisitorChat/TLIEFlash.CAB

Now be carefull about the missing LSP entry. If you remove that it could break your Internet connection, if it isn't already. And you have to get an LSP repair program to fix it.

Then post a new log.

Lsp?

Ok, got the log back but I see that there are things that I do use, like easyphoto, IE, Netscape and Turbo Lister as I list on eBay thru that program. Can you please tell me what this means? My connection to the internet works fine. " O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'connwsp.dll' missing".

Thanks again for all your help and look forward to more!! Best, Lenelan

This page will sum up LSP software for ya. http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Of course you probably know, removing startups doesn't remove the whole program. If there is something you use just occasionally, it doesn't really need to be in startup.

Now run an updated scan with Adaware and spybot, and CrapCleaner.

lsp & hjt log

Hi - I read the link you gave me about lsp fix. Here is my question. I have no problem connecting to the internet and I run ad-aware and spy bot once a week and there is no problems. Also, what I need to know is how do I delete/stop the processes running that I don't use. I do know that the programs will not be deleted, I just want to speed up my computer. It takes my computer 7-8 minutes to reboot. Don't want to sound like a puter dummy but I have on this computer to websites that I update from dreamweaver and what I can't afford is to have my computer crash. Please advise this newbie :) Thanks, Lenelan

Here's the deal. You say it takes 7-8 minutes for you to reboot. But you want to know how to delete/stop processes running. Well knowing how to kill them after the fact won't speed up you startup time. Here are a few ways, simplest to most advanced, for viewing startups:

1) Start-Run and type MSCONFIG
This program will give you both services and startups that you can turn off just by UNchecking the box next to it. Most of them you should be able to recognize by their filename and/or path. When unchecked, they will remain here until you go back in MSCONFIG and REcheck them. In other words, you have the control of turning them on and off. However, MSCONFIG only shows startups from some basic locations, and not EVERY possible startup. But it is easy for a novice to use because if you turn off a startup that is needed, you can just go in and recheck it.

2) HIJACKTHIS.
As you saw, HJT lists startups, it includes most of MSCONFIG plus some more. But when you remove them with HJT, they are gone for good and you can't just go back and turn them on. Short of restoring a backup from HJT of course.

3) A program called "autoruns" from www.sysinternals.com. It lists dang near every conceivable startup location your PC has. A LOT of the startups you won't be able to tell are good or bad, because a lot will belong to Windows itself. But it will give you a good idea of just how many startups your system really does have.

Next you need a guide. When it comes to startups, there's nothing easier then just typing the filename into Google and seeing what comes up. It's pretty easy to find out if something is good or bad or needed etc...

Check out:
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/allprocesses/ (this site has most processes you'll come across, unless they are random names. So if you come across a process you don't recognize, check here. If these guys don't have it, search Google. If Google doesn't find it, chances are good it is bad or at least not needed.

There is a difference between startups, and processes. Obviously a startup can become a process. But doesn't necessarily mean it will have the same name. And of course you won't have the same number of processes as you do startups. So you need to deal with both individually.

The aformentioned programs are used to see startups. But for processes, here are some more references.

1) The easiest way to view processes is right-click the task bar and select "Task Manager". Or press ctrl-alt-del. The Programs and Processes tabs will list most running processes. Then use the link above to see what it is.
When in the processes tab, click the column heading of "User Name", this will sort the list by user. The ONLY processes you want to consider closing are under YOUR user name. I would not try to close processes under "System" or "Network Service" etc...

A good guide on how to speed up your system through cleaning services can be found at this URL: http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Archive/servicecfg.htm
Be sure to pick the right guide for your SP. Whether 1a or 1 or 2 etc...
That site has some other good guides and tweaks you could look in to.

Also, to help speed up your startup, do a defrag!
I might also mention that the bulk of your startup time is very likely chewed up by the bulky and messy Norton, Firewall, and AOL programs. Sorry to say. Between those 3 you probably have upwards of 15+ startups/services/processes etc...

Hope that learns ya something useful.

thanks

I certainly more than appreciate the time you took to write and all the information you gave me will be a great place for me to start and of course will be a great learning tool. I will be checking everything out and will let you know how I am doing. Thanks again! Lenelan

The one thing about computers is one learns new things everyday! This is a great forum I am so happy to have found it! :grinthumb The kindnest and willingness to help people like me is incredibly wonderful and I am so appreciative! BTW - how does one do a SS? :blush: Thanks, Lenelan

lol, your welcome. I felt the same way about this forum when I first got here, it's been great!

Some people have different ways of taking a screen shot, but here is one quick way you can play with.

On your keyboard there is a button called "PrtScn". Mostly next to SCRLK and PAUSE. It's the PRinTSCreeN button. Just go ahead and click it once. You won't notice anything happening yet.
Open up "Paint", find it in the Start Menu-Programs-Accessories. Once Paint opens, press (on the keyboard) CTRL-V. This will "Paste" your screenshot.

Note that after pressing prtscr, if you do ANY copy, like copy text or whatever, it will erase the screenshot, because they all use the Windows Clipboard.
--------------

Beyond that is up to the individual. Some people use a screenshot-taking program. And then most people will use a different program to edit the shot, like Photoshop etc...
You can also take a screen shot of JUST the current window, rather then the WHOLE screen. Do that by holding down ALT and then click PrtScr.

Lastly, when you save your screen shot, save-as a JPEG. Paint will try to save as a bitmap (BMP) but that is a larger file. Use JPG if you plan on posting it up on the web or E-mailing it.

Thank you. I have seen that button and pushed it before but nothing happened and now I know why!! I have a lot of research to do now. Thanks again! Lenelan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back