start up

Status
Not open for further replies.
good morning. i have read and applied the system startup info from the homepage of techspot. i am running windows 98 vers 2. on deselecting items in msconfig i find i have items not quoted on the homepage. could you advise if i need to uncheck any of the following.
multimedia keyboard netropa\multimedia keyboard\mmkeybd.exe

onscreen display netropa\onscreen display\osd.exe

tkbellexe c\prog files\common files\real\update_ob\realsched.exe-osboot

bpcpost.exe c\windows\system\bpcpost exe

owcardbus tray ocbtray.exe

many thanks
david cowling

onscreen display netropa\onscreen display\osd.exe

OSD stands for On-Screen Display. I suppose it's a feature that allows you to adjust certain properties of your display ( brightness, color adjustment, etc... ) faster then going through the Display Control Panel.

OSD Task Information

tkbellexe c\prog files\common files\real\update_ob\realsched.exe-osboot

That's a small component installed by RealPlayer. Personally I don't like having a bunch of processes launched at startup so I generally remove these applications from the startup. If you're not having any problems, you can leave it.

bpcpost.exe c\windows\system\bpcpost exe

bpcpost.exe Process Information

It seems that's the "Microsoft TV Viewer Post Setup Program". Once again, if it doesn't give you problems, you might as well leave it.

owcardbus tray ocbtray.exe

That startup item allows you to use the card bus device on your system ( if you have one ). Try removing it & if upon reboot you have problems with certains applications, you can re-enable it.

Wold you happen to be using a laptop by any chance ? If yes, it would probably be better to leave that last one.

Just a note.. from Didou's post I gather that you have a TV input on your machine.

TV viewing programs often use the OSD capabilities for displaying their image (an overlay sorta similar to what a DVD decoder card might do.)

IF you remove the OSD, be sure to test the TV functionality before committing to that change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back