TechSpot

Startup develops layered cells that could make solar power as cheap as natural gas

By Justin Kahn
Aug 8, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Technological advancements in the world of solar power energy are plentiful, and a startup company known as Semprius have quite a practical one in the works. By simply stacking up semiconducting materials on top of each other, the company has...

Read more

2. NotParker

NotParker TS Member Posts: 22   +6

As cheap as natural gas. Except at night. Or the winter. You know ... when it is nice to have heat.

p51d007 likes this.
  3. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 560   +172

Actually winter provides a lot of sunlight in certain areas. Snow reflects a ton of light. Where I live in the US, it's pretty easy to go outside at night in the winter because the light reflects off of the snow and the clouds. It hardly gets that dark except when large storms occur.

4. To cheap to meter....just like nuclear power....ha ha ha.....
    This is laughable.....we have heard it all before and before

5. NotParker

NotParker TS Member Posts: 22   +6

Consider Hamburg Germany. (Gemeanyhas spent billions on solar).

One sixth the amount of sunshine in Winter compared to Summer.

http://www.weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-hours-Sunshine,Hamburg,Germany

6. And you're not at home during the day when it is generating power to the grid or to a battery bank, and you can draw down on that power...at night...or in winter when it is nice to use extra power. Unless you are at home because you don't have a job because you're stupid

Seriously, the old "sun doesn't shine at night" routine is getting pretty old. It shows how ignorant you are about the state of solar power.
    Take a look at the Tonopah Heliostat power station. It uses mirrors to melt salt, stores the molten salt and can use that to boil water and power generators throughout the night (yes, after the sun goes down).

Check your facts.

7. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

Yes, but is that enough to generate enough electrical power?

Yes, the "sun doesn't shine at night" routing is getting pretty old. Someone tell the Earth to stop spinning.

And many people leave the A/C running during the day because they want to come home to cool house. I don't because I'm a cheap bastard and don't like paying for energy when I'm not using it. But I'm not everyone.

All you need to know about solar (and wind) is that anyone who uses these "alternative energies" don't disconnect themselves from the actual power grid. Even they know that these "alternative energies" are a gimmick.