Startup issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

twite

I am repairing my friends computer, and i have run into some issues. When it starts up, it starts for about 1/8 of a second, and then powers off. Now, the Green light on the mobo is on when it is plugged in. When powered on, everything starts spinning and running for not even a second, and then just dies.

I have tried the following-

Switching out his DDr2 with my working DDR2

Trying my working PSU on his computer (it has sufficient power; 550W)

Tried My working Video card on his Mobo

Tried MY HDD on his mobo.

How did it start?

After i repaired a software issue with it, we walked it back down to his house. He lives about 10 min away. Once we got it there, this issue started happening. It was working perfectly fine before this. I had just installed a fresh copy of windows.

What does this mean?

A faulty motherboard?

A faulty CPU?

I can't imagine it being the Mobo, because all the power lights are on, and it does begin to start up. But then again..what else could it Be?

That is a possibility, but doesn't the fail safe take longer then that to shut it off?

But I mean it is almost instant. I don't see how it would have enough time to relay all that data in 10 MS. Anyway, I have the comp next to me, just gotta plug in the Psu, and ill check it out. Ill get back to you.

What software exactly did you repair? could it be a software problem?

It's a longshot, but you might as well check.

Can't be. Ive tested it with my working hard drive and no luck.

And i just tried to power on with pushing down the HSF firmly, and no luck.

Also, and EDIT of what i said earlier, the light on the mobo is red, not green.

THAT is a very bad sign o_o;;;

well, it isn't a software problem, its not the heatsink...its not the power supply... something must be affecting the mobo.

Any idea what the red light means?

ok, a quick check on Google shows that its most likely that the motherboard is dead. Either that or the RAM isn't plugged in correctly.

SUGGESTIONS:

1) Check to make sure the power button on the case is plugged in correctly (connect the two prongs with a screw driver, if the computer does start up, the switch is bad)

2) Check to make sure the RAM is in correctly.

3) Check the Password jumper pins on the mobo (someone suggested it in another forum)

Those are the only things I've heard of that might help...
let me know if that works?

Ive tried my ram in all 4 slots, tried jumping the mobo..so i will try the jumpers. Does it say to reset them?

The psu switch is on 110V?

edit: and have you tried inserting the OS cd and booting with it? Anything?

Yup..thats what i figured. I don't need to buy a new one, i am just going to return it for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back