TechSpot

Startup Permissions

By cogenmaster
Feb 16, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyone know how to give a startup program permission to start so you don't have to click on allow whenever you reboot your computer. Program in question is MSI's dual core monitoring software.

P.S. Anyone got a 8800 GTS mine runs at idle around 65-68C, that sure seems hot to me. I have decent size case with inlet fan and rear exhaust fan.

Eric

2. robin_bga

robin_bga TS Rookie Posts: 258

You question is not clear. what software is asking you to start yor monitoring software.is it a firewall? is the software itself? explain more and be more specific.R

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Usually there is a "don't ask me again" tick box in these firewall prompts.
    If not, you should be able to define this program as "allowed" somwhere in the firewall configuration.

4. cogenmaster

cogenmaster TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 132

RE Program Control

Sorry I was not more precise, in vista when some programs run you get a pop-up box offering you to allow or deny the progam to run. It is not the firewall software it something new in vista, I personnally find it rather bothersome. When the dual-core monitoring software launches at boot-up I get the message box asking me to allow or deny program launch, whereas say my avg anti-virus just launches at boot without having to allow it to run. I am sure there must be a place where you can allow programs to start-up without microsoft asking me whether I want to start it or not.

5. tweaks_sav

tweaks_sav TS Rookie Posts: 190

6. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

I think what you are referring to is a result of UAC (User access control).

I haven't committed to Vista yet, but from what I've read it seems as thought it attempts to mimic how Linux / Mac OS X handle user accounts. The idea is even administrators don't have system-level permissions, so you can't break your own system. As a result, you get prompts to authenticate every time you do something that is beyond the scope of normal usage. However, I have also read that Vista's implementation might be excessive.

Here is a guide on disabling UAC, although this may not be the smartest thing to do... but certainly an option if the nag screens you are seeing are a result of it.
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/...le-user-account-control-uac-in-windows-vista/

7. cogenmaster

cogenmaster TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 132

User Account Control

Thanks Rick that is exactly what it is and it is really annoying. Pops up when installing software and launching countless apps. It might be a good thing but I think it is a little to intrusive.

8. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

I'm actually pretty disappointed to see UAC so easily defeated. If it is so simple to bypass that you can use msconfig, what's the point?... And it looks like tweaks_sav beat me to it. ;)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.