Startup Problem- Black screen after post - XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, need some help here. My PC restarted and now it posts as normal (Abit mobo splash screen), hesitates a few seconds like normal but then goes to a black screen instead of the Windows XP splash screen. The black screen has a horizontal row of small vertical bars across the middle-bottom of the screen. This row starts to fill in itself from the left side of the screen with a solid bar and then stops about a fourth of the way across the screen. That's where the PC just stops and sits....

I booted the PC w/ Norton's disc to check for viruses which worked as it's supposed to but that finished and didn't find any viruses, etc. PC still does the same thing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Tyler

Was it a hard restart that caused this, or just a normal reboot? The bar could be some diagnostic that cant finish. Im not sure though...

Actually, now it gets past the black screen (the white bars act like a loading process and finish loading) and gets stuck at the Windows splash screen with the blue loading bar which just keeps going. I was able to start up the computer using my Windows Xp disc and run a repair. That's how I got to this point. Also, the PC never gives me a chance to hit F8 to try and have the computer revert to the last successful start up.

Thanks for the help - Tyler

you have to f8 after p.o.s.t. right before windows loads. after turning the pc on, tap the f8 key a few times. (you have to be quick, otherwise windows will load). this would get you into safe mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back