Startup problem - Hangs when starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostyr0d

Hello,

I built my own pc, but there is a little problem! When i start the PC, the screen is black. After 5-10 secs, the BIOS bleeps and it seems like it is hanging up. It is when it bleeps that the screen starts to show this "Press DEL to setup thing"..

But i cant press DEL because its hang :(

please help.

Frostyr0d said:
Hello,

I built my own pc, but there is a little problem! When i start the PC, the screen is black. After 5-10 secs, the BIOS bleeps and it seems like it is hanging up. It is when it bleeps that the screen starts to show this "Press DEL to setup thing"..

But i cant press DEL because its hang :(

please help.
Make sure that everything on your computer is connected like the RAM.

Everything is connected... I tried to install everything on my old mobo, and it actually worked.

But when installing again to my new mobo, i get this problem.

Also to mention, I have tried to start my PC with only 1 DDR RAM stick, PSU, Video Card and CPU installed, still no results. It hangs at BIOS screen.

I'm going to list common probs with new builds, no offence or noobishness suggested:

Ensure the mobo is not grounding on the case. Use the stand-off insulating washers or make your own from cardboard or plastic.
Reseat the RAM, make sure RAM is compatible with mobo.
Check HSF is installed correctly and plugged in.(overheating CPU)
Use thermal paste on the HSF and CPU interface not thermal pads.
Check vid card is seated properly.
Ensure PSU connections, especially the 4pin connector to the CPU is plugged into mobo (that one is often overlooked).

Because you see the "Press Del to enter Set-up" message, then things are all connected correctly and it has completed the POST ok. The fact that it hangs after this strongly indicates either an overheating CPU or a CMOS failure. Try resetting the CMOS either by jumper, push-button on mobo or remove battery for several minutes.

Maybe an overheating CPU.. Sometimes it shuts down automatically at this screen...

Does that mean my CPU overheats?? I think i have installed the HSF properly... I removed it and replaced it atleast 10 times now.

If you hear just 1 beep, that's the BIOS finishing and declaring a good POST. If it hangs after this then it might be a corrupted CMOS (this could be a faulty mobo issue). Did you try resetting the CMOS (see your mobo manual for procedure)? You did use thermal paste on the HSF and CPU right?

I've read my whole manual, and no sign of how to reset CMOS, only the System Time in CMOS... :S

Oh and btw, when i installed the CPU back on my old mobo, everything was fine, so i dont think its overheating.

And yes, i have thermal paste on them.

What I'm thinking is this: After the POST the PC beeps to indicate a good self test, then it loads up the CMOS instructions, this contains the boot order info and other such settings in the BIOS. If it hangs here, then it can only be a corrupt CMOS or corrupt EPROM (both of these could be a faulty mobo) or the CPU is overheating (i.e. by now the CPU has had time to heat up, they use almost 100W of power these days) and think about how fast a 100W light bulb heats up.

If a CMOS refresh/reset does not correct this and you are sure the HSF is installed correctly and thermal paste was used, then you very well might have a faulty mobo.

I have the MSI Neo4 mobo and mine has a little momentary PB switch near the cmos battery to reset the CMOS. Most all other mobos use a jumper. you move the jumper friom the stored location to the next pins over, wait 2 secs and move it back. If all else fails, just remove the battery and wait about 10mins and reinstall battery.

Resetted CMOS.. Still the same problem.

But i've noticed its not the BIOS bleeping, it is the "System Warning Speaker".
It is one loud bleep..

Normally when i start the PC on old mobo, all fans run @ full speed for about 5 secs during the POST.

Now when i start, the fans runs at "normal" speed except for the gfx card fan, that runs at full speed.

When i hear the system warning speaker bleep, all fans start to run @ full speed, and the gfx fan at very low speed.¨

My specs are, btw:

AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 2,0GHz.
Radeon X1900XT - 512MB
1024MB RAM
ASUS A8N-SLI SE Mobo.

OK I have to ask this, what PSU are you using? Rated watts, the 3.3, 5 and 12Volt rated amps for each voltage? With that beast of a CPU you'll be pulling 10 amps alone off the 12V rail. The vid card will use 50Watts off the 5V rail.
You need a PSU with at least 22A on the 12V rail and 35A on the 5V.

Edit: I forgot to ask this again, just to make sure. You are very certain the mobo is not touching the case or grounding itself via the mounting stand-offs right? One quick trick is to remove mobo and lay the PC on it's with the mobo on the anti-static bag it came in.

OK you're good in the PSU department. Man I hope you don't have a bum mobo.
check my above post I added something.

In reply to that, it was touching the case first, and then i couldnt even press the power button, so i just loosened some screws a bit, and i could press the power button...

So maybe thats the case.

I made sure it wasnt touching the case now.. Still the same problem.

Do you have to wait for some time to try or?

One long stop beep is probably a RAM problem. Make sure the RAM is compatible with the new mobo and they are seated in the correct order in the slots. Try running with just one stick (if you have 2 of 512 that is).

just did a quick experiment, no RAM inserted.

System Speaker sound:

1 long beep, after that 2 short beeps. and the beeps keeps repeating all the time.

Well it does sound like it's finishing POST ok then, you do have the DVD/CD Rom connected and the HDD right? Of course you have to boot from the Win CD first then format HDD etc.

Lol i havent even connected a CD case to my computer :S

But should it really hangup there just because i dont have the Windows CD in?

if so, its a big selfslap :p

I need a smack too. Yes this is why the CMOS is hanging it's looking for something to boot from and goes, "ahhhh?"

Cheers.

Hehe. Thanks for the help, ill try to get hold of a Windows CD asap.

Atleast i can be sure that i didnt waste money on components

- Gfx card
- RAM
- Processor
- Mobo

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back