Startup Problems w/ Windows XP SP1 Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all to anyone who replys Thank You.

I am assisting a friend w/ computer trouble. The initial sypmtoms are Windows XP SP1 starts very slowly. There is a white bar which progresses very slowly along the bottom of the screen and then after about 4-5 minutes Windows XP seems to load somewhat normally. I employed the /sos in the boot.ini file and each driver seems to be taking 30-45 secs to load. I'm not sure why. I installed AVG-free antivirus from Grisoft and ran it. It found 350 virus and trojan horses. After cleaning those spybot and Adaware both ran finding a total of about 1500 problems. Some of those still can't be removed. I was attempting to boot the computer from AVG rescue disks which I made, but whenever the computer boots from the disk, the hard drive is not accessible. I get an a:\ prompt, but when I try to access c: I get invalid drive specification. But if i remove disk, it boots off the hard drive again. I'd be very grateful to anyone with any helpful suggestions as I am frustrated and out of ideas.

Thanks again,

Brian

best way to fix would first of all INSTALL SP2, but dont just install it, slipstream it into his xp install cd and then do a clean install or windows. thers no way to fix all of those problems without installing xp again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back