Startup programs not loading properly

By Daveskater
Mar 30, 2007
  1. Hi, recently my startup programs have not been loading properly. The process starts and stays running and they come up for a few seconds but then disappear. The only way to get them back again is to stop the process then load the program again. I have also found ScanningProcess.exe running on my pc and I just looked it up to be a trojan. Whether it's related to this problem or not I don't know.

If anybody knows why my programs are practically closing themselves then I'll be grateful and amazed because I have no idea why.

If you need any other info just ask.

Edit: it seems that scanningprocess.exe can also be related to the new version of ZoneAlarm which I got recently. But surely that wouldn't cause this problem
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

Have you at least run a virus scan, etc., to see if you truly have a trojan?
  3. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Topic Starter Posts: 1,687

Well the last scan i did found a trojan but that was removed but i'm just about to go out so i'll leave a scan running now.
  4. Daveskater

Zonealarm has found "not-a-virus:RiskTool.Win32.Reboot.f" but apparently it's in a place that doesn't exist so it can't be removed. I've tried following the filepath myself but it's actually not there. Apparently it's "C:\DOCUME~1\*username*\LOCALS~1\Temp\$699D2AA3.t$m" but like i said, it isn't there, and I have hidden files and folders turned on so they're visible. I'm currently waiting for AVG to finish and see if that finds anything though.
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,143   +597

ANYTHING in username\Locals\Temp can always be deleted. Your problem
    is the file name $xxx$ is a special technique to hide names (gee thanks MS :( )

Boot into Safe Mode
    go to that folder
    select all contents
    right-click any one->properties
    uncheck R/O and Hidden
    click OK​

now you should be able to selectively delete it or just delete all folder
  6. Daveskater

ok, thanks :grinthumb

good ol' ms with their tricks :mad:
  7. Daveskater

i did what you said but the file still wasn't there :suspiciou

i've bought a new hard drive now though so i'm moving onto that. thanks for your help anyway though :grinthumb
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.