TechSpot

1. TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Startup programs not loading properly

By Daveskater ยท 6 replies
Mar 30, 2007
  1. Hi, recently my startup programs have not been loading properly. The process starts and stays running and they come up for a few seconds but then disappear. The only way to get them back again is to stop the process then load the program again. I have also found ScanningProcess.exe running on my pc and I just looked it up to be a trojan. Whether it's related to this problem or not I don't know.

If anybody knows why my programs are practically closing themselves then I'll be grateful and amazed because I have no idea why.

If you need any other info just ask.

Thanks

Edit: it seems that scanningprocess.exe can also be related to the new version of ZoneAlarm which I got recently. But surely that wouldn't cause this problem

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

Have you at least run a virus scan, etc., to see if you truly have a trojan?

3. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Topic Starter Posts: 1,687

Well the last scan i did found a trojan but that was removed but i'm just about to go out so i'll leave a scan running now.

4. Daveskater

Zonealarm has found "not-a-virus:RiskTool.Win32.Reboot.f" but apparently it's in a place that doesn't exist so it can't be removed. I've tried following the filepath myself but it's actually not there. Apparently it's "C:\DOCUME~1\*username*\LOCALS~1\Temp\$699D2AA3.t$m" but like i said, it isn't there, and I have hidden files and folders turned on so they're visible. I'm currently waiting for AVG to finish and see if that finds anything though.

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,697   +676

ANYTHING in username\Locals\Temp can always be deleted. Your problem
    is the file name $xxx$ is a special technique to hide names (gee thanks MS :( )

Boot into Safe Mode
    go to that folder
    select all contents
    right-click any one->properties
    uncheck R/O and Hidden
    click OK​

now you should be able to selectively delete it or just delete all folder
    contents

6. Daveskater

ok, thanks :grinthumb

good ol' ms with their tricks :mad:

7. Daveskater

i did what you said but the file still wasn't there :suspiciou

i've bought a new hard drive now though so i'm moving onto that. thanks for your help anyway though :grinthumb

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.