StatCounter: Google Chrome is dominating the browser industry

David Tom

google chrome android internet explorer safari mozilla firefox web browser

Google Chrome raced onto the scene just five years ago; a time period when Internet Explorer had entrenched itself as the undisputed leader. The browser became so popular that mid last year it was already disputing the lead with Microsoft's counterpart. Now, according to recent reports from web statistics firm StatCounter, Google has firmly taken the top spot in the browser market, and not by a small margin either.

According to June's data, Chrome holds a global market share of 43%, while IE lags behind at 25%. Meanwhile, Firefox services approximately 20% of the online population, with Safari and Opera coming in fourth and fifth.

It’s interesting to note that Chrome’s dominance may be even greater than the stats indicate, seeing as much of Microsoft’s market share is tied to business use. Offices often have Internet Explorer set as the default browser and employees inherently use the system out of convenience. As a result, StatCounter’s statistics show that Microsoft’s market share undergoes a sizeable loss on weekends. If employers eventually make the transition to rivals Firefox and Chrome, then Internet Explorer’s days could be numbered.

Some might be curious as to how Google rose to the top so quickly. After all, Microsoft effectively held a monopoly over the industry, and Firefox was a hit for those wanting a speedier interface and greater customization. Neowin suggests that much of Chrome’s success can be attributed to its presence on the Android line of mobile devices. Unfortunately for Apple, the iPhone has failed to bring Safari the same loyal following, or at least not in any meaningful way considering Safari is confined to OS X's smaller market share on desktops.

However compelling the StatCounter results may be, these figures do not tell the whole story. StatCounter tracks using page views, while most would agree that the number of users is of greater importance

Permalink to story.

Obviously when your browser is advertised on Google and then bundled with everything else...

No, it is not because of that, it is because it is so damn fast in comparison with the explorer and even firefox. I have to use IE 10 at work, and when I swich to chrome it feels like butter.

Seems everything you download loads Chrome with it. Most people I know have Chrome installed on their computer, but none of them use it. Having it on your computer and actually using it is two different things! I have been a long time Opera user. Haven't found any other browser that comes close. I just hope that the new Opera will have the features of the current version.

Firefox is blazing fast. Even the latest version of Internet Explorer is fast. Google just bundles Chrome with everything and advertises right on Google search page. While Chrome is a good browser, it is dominating because of Google's advantages in the market (not Chrome's).

Firefox is still the go to browser for those who want everything (speed, privacy, customization). Chrome has speed, the illusion of privacy, and minor customization.

Chrome came preinstalled on my computer, but I wasn't able to view bank statement pdf files (pdf from unsecure sites were fine). Also some sites with embedded flash content kept displaying messages that I needed to download a plugin, but chrome wouldn't do it. Firefox had no problem with either the bank statements or browsing, its my default browser now. I haven't noticed any difference with the speed.

I prefer Chrome. I have it as the main Browser on my laptop. I use IE then use Chrome...and a significant difference. Step aside IE, Chrome and Firefox are the future.

Chrome is dominating the bloatware and spyware industry. This browser is bundle with everything, how can it be avoided? People don't even know that it is installed on their computers. I have seen chrome on 90% of computers that I work on, and when I ask people if they use it, they simply had no idea what it was.

Seems everything you download loads Chrome with it. Most people I know have Chrome installed on their computer, but none of them use it. Having it on your computer and actually using it is two different things! I have been a long time Opera user. Haven't found any other browser that comes close. I just hope that the new Opera will have the features of the current version.

Wow... Since when did microsoft, apple, dell, HP etc roll chrome with everything? plus chrome is the ONLY good browser in terms of speed/security. I only use chrome thanks to its simplicity, minimalistic, security, speed I don't know of a browser which can rival it in those 4 areas..

Also IE is made by microsoft which lets remember by the way their own AV failed pretty much all tests on the 2012/2013 forgot which one it was either one of those but it failed pretty much every single test... which says a lot for microsoft and their products I mean come on! its microsoft if that failed then what about their own OS and browser...

Chrome sucks. Painful in my throat. Tried to disable all built-in tracking to ensure 100% private browsing, but the sucker still leaves its signature and retain some cookies. Heard the sucker Google is paying adblock to enure their ads to still get through. Firefox is still the go-to for web developers. Security will go to IE10, but data mining will go to Chrome.

Chrome browser comes pre-installed on some Asus and Lenovo products.

Chrome is the new malware-type bloatware tool masquerading as browser in this present age. Try to avoid everything evil Google as I can.

@ wastedkill : I don't think so. I posted the first and the fifth comment. I think this topic always generates a lot of comments.

Chrome is dominating the bloatware and spyware industry. This browser is bundle with everything, how can it be avoided? People don't even know that it is installed on their computers. I have seen chrome on 90% of computers that I work on, and when I ask people if they use it, they simply had no idea what it was.

As opposed to IE, which is on 100% of Windows computers, even if you don't use it? If you've got a beef against Google, that's fine and dandy, avoid Chrome. But trying to attribute people making a conscious decision to move away from their default browser and use Chrome to the fact that it's bundled with download stuff is ludicrous. Just because it may download with something does NOT make people use it. What makes people use it is the speed and features.

I was a die-hard Firefox user, but was finding FF was bogging down dramatically, and switched to Chrome... The speed increase was dramatic. Of course, FF made some good strides to get rid of the slowdowns and memory leaks, and now I flip-flop between the 2. I still prefer FF overall, but Chrome pulls its own weight (and is dramatically better than IE any day).

Adding up all Chrome's processes, it is always using more memory than Firefox on my computer. And that is with Firefox set to never write to disk, always store in memory. Speed wise, Chrome is still slightly faster. However the difference in speed is only minor. Like an eighth of a second. I'll keep my privacy over a split second faster.

@ Vrmithrax : I would agree if Firefox was advertised along side Chrome and bundled with everything as well. Then if people chose Chrome, you would be right. But commonsense tells you the vast majority of people would indeed choose Chrome. This is because it is dummy proof, like Apple's iOS. People like it because it is fast, simple, and they don't have to set anything up. That doesn't make it best, it makes it appealing as most people are not technologically inclined.

I do find it interesting that Firefox is more in sync with Android and Chrome is more like iOS.

I use chrome because of the built-in google features. Privacy isn't really a concern for me so much - I block whatever ads they track-to-send me anyway and I visit about 10 pages regularly (which I know to be safe). Besides, if they want to know where I live, my name, phone number, date of birth, etc. a simple white-pages look up and a call to my local government would probably suffice.

The ability to sync with drive, across all devices (especially my history - often look up stuff on home PC where it's faster then pull it up later at the store on my phone to get price matching/discounts), and the speed make Chrome worth it for me.

Browsers, as with most things are just a matter of taste if you ignore the technical mumbo jumbo & user claims. I've used Chrome since it's inception and wouldn't use another browser but I know a lot of people who still use IE just because they know no different, to them a browser is a browser is a browser. That said, I'd rather use IE than Firefox myself.

Arguing about this makes no sense, because StatCounter's numbers are worthless. They simply have no clue how statistics work, and refuse to get educated about it.

>> I don't know of a browser which can rival it in those 4 areas..
Sounds more like you just haven't taken the time to actually use other browsers, at least lately. There will never, ever be a universal browser, available for every OS platform, that will suit every users' needs. But at this point the browser war that Mozilla brought back from a dead zone has triggered competition that has given us a lot of good options. The dark days when IE dominated and Netscape was one of the a handful of usable alternatives have been forgotten by a lot of people.

Chrome is a virus :p

Seriously though, it's only popular because it's "Google" and it's also bundled with a lot of popular software, while it's just a bloated version of the excellent Chromium Project.

Back