Static IP On A Wireless Connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasio-

I have had a wireless connection for about 2 years now.. and i've been playing WarCraft III for about that long also.. To host games you have to have ports 6112-6119 open, and have a static IP.. before i had my computer reformatted, this was never a problem. When i got the computer back and tried playing, i was unable to host, but my ports were still forwarded. I tried switching this computer to Static IP (same as my router) but it will not let me. I wanted to know how it was possible before, or how I did it.. cause i can't seem to get it to work

How did you go about putting the comptuer on a static address like so that it won't be changed by the router?

I guess i didn't, i installed it on my computer (before reformatting) and was able to host then and there.. but its only become a problem now ..

Installed what? There isn't sofware that you need just have to go into your network properties and hard set your IP address and DNS servers that your router is using and then you will be fine.

Installed WarCraft..

I tried switching this computer to Static IP (same as my router) but it will not let me.

When i tried setting this computer to the same IP as my router (other computer) it told me that the IP was already in use, and to find another IP

You can't have the IP address set to the same as the router. You said that you still have the ports forwarded what address to you have them forwarded to? That is what you should set your IP address to.

Most of the time your router will be something like 192.168.1.1 and the computer would be something like 192.168.1.101. Then as long as you have valid DNS servers in there it should work perfectly.

Ok so..

i have 2 computers, one is set for .100, the other (wireless) .101. Does .100 need to even be a static IP, or can it be whatever, aslong as the router is forwarded to .101?

I have found that my router like to change my internet IP addresses from time to time. Therefore since I have some ports forward to my computer for games I hard set it to 100 (number doesn't really matter whatever you address you have the ports forwarded to) and then I have my webserver on 101 since that also had important ports forwarded to it. Then after that any other computer that don't have ports forwarded to them for important things and be left on DHCP, and can really have any address.

Well, heres what i did, i went into my Router Configuration (typed ip into adress bar) and made the ports forwarded to .101, which is my Wireless's Static IP.. But then when i went to host i was still unable to.. so i guess i still need help on this.. maybe ive done something wrong :rolleyes:

Jasio- said:
Well, heres what i did, i went into my Router Configuration (typed ip into adress bar) and made the ports forwarded to .101, which is my Wireless's Static IP.. But then when i went to host i was still unable to.. so i guess i still need help on this.. maybe ive done something wrong :rolleyes:
Is 101 the address for the computer that you are trying to use to host these games?

Yes, 192.168.1.101 is the adress im forwarding to, and is also the hosting computers IP adress.. When i go to host nothing has changed (people cannot join) So im not sure what to do.. has anyone had a similar problem?

It is probably something like Nodsu said you probably have a software firewall that is on there blocking the ports. If you are using Windows XP I know you will need to turn off the Windows Firewall as it is on by default and blocked me from playing games like Diablo 2 when I first got Windows XP.

Wow.. i cant believe i forgot that ! thats the first thing i did when i was originally playing WC3, someone told me you have to shut down Windows Firewall for it to work (ofcourse, i had to port forward later) but im going to try that ty..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back