TechSpot

static IP resets to default router IP on reboot

By poertner_1274
Oct 22, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok this is a seriously messed up problem. I know how to fix it though, just annoying.

This just started happening recently, as in today. I found that I restarted my computer and I couldn't log onto ANYTHING. So I did ipconfig and found that my IP had changed to some default one. I can't remember exactly what it was, but something like 192.160.0.1

So after my last network problem I did (this is for XP) "ipconfig /release", then "ipconfig /renew" This took care of the problem and reassigned me to the campus, but it is just a pain in the to get it working properly. There are probably 50 comptuers in the house and every single one has to do this. It gets annoying.

I am curious if anyone can shed some light on this. Is it a campus problem? A problem with our hub in the house (we have 1 downstairs in basement-8port, 2 on 1st floor-both 8ports, and one upstairs-24 ports)? Each room most likely has a hub of their own to share connection between the 2 roommates computers.

I hope this is enough detail. I have been asked to fix about 10 computers so they can get on the internet and it is pissing me off, easy but annoying.

2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Topic Starter Posts: 4,745

Ok I just restarted my laptop and I see that the IP is 192.168.0.3

The default gateway is 192.168.0.1

Maybe this info will help.....

HOLY @#$^%@ I think I just figured out the problem.

Man I am an *****, never even crossed my mind. The problem was with my router I just installed. It was acting as a new DHCP server, not the campus one.

Oh well, I'll just leave this problem up here if someone else might have it.

If nothing else it shows how a complete ***** I am :blush:

3. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Posts: 645

Why not 'assign' an ip address to each computer instead of have it look for one automatically. Go into the the network properties and into the TCP/IP properties and specify the information to make it assign an ip address. What is the ipaddress of your computer supposed to be? 192.168.0.***? Or does it start with 10? Or is it a real ip address assigned by the ISP. The whole campus internet throws me off but if i understand it i can help you.

4. poertner_1274

That is all wasted time and effort. I know what you are saying, but to go through all 50 computers in my house would be ridiculous. And I turned off DHCP support on the router itself and all is well now. Still makes me mad that I didn't think of it. I'll probably go to bed now and not think about it anymore.....>Yeah that sounds good, but maybe after a beer first.......or 2......who knows.......

5. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Well done... :)

6. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 829

hehe, if that didn't work, you could always just put a .bat file in the startup folder that has ipconfig /renew in it.

yes its unnecessary but it'd work.

7. poertner_1274

I know I currently have one of these to take care of my netshare's to help protect from hackers. It would get old if I had to send one to everyone in my house.

I'm just glad that I figured it out.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.