Static Shock To The Power Button

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this fateful night.. my friend came home.. removed his jacket.. with lots of static at hand, he moved to turn on his desktop. With a plan to send thunder bolts all across his system.. he touched the power button.. he got a static shock but did not get a chance to actually press the button.. the machine turned itself on.. we all went “WWHHOOOAAAAHH”.

2 seconds later.. the machine turned itself off automatically and has now been declared dead. It is not responding to the power button either.

Thoughts?
Suggestions?

Tried a different power supply..
Tried switching the Power and Reset connections..
Tried resetting the CMOS..

Your friend most likely fried something on the motherboard. (And showed that your computer case has a lousy design).

What is the system doing now? Doesn't turn on?

What if you try to turn it on by shorting the green wire from the PSU with ground (any black wire)? This would bypass the power-on stuff on the motherboard.

System is now totally dead. Is not responding to power button.

I shorted the green wire with black. The processor fan turns on but nothing shows up on the screen.
The Graphic card fan is also running but blank screen.
Motherboard dead?

The static shock probably traveled down the case power switch wire to the motherboard... Killing the motherboard

Fans spinning, no post BEEPs, and inoperative system?

Hate to beat a dead horse, but that motherboards as dead as the horse is.

edit: it occured to me that fans shouldn't spin up if the motherboard is dead, unless only part of its dead. If fans spin up but system is inoperative, that usually points to the CPU. Really could be either, though, when a motherboard dies, especially in such a violent death by static, it usually takes out the CPU and RAM with it, though HD/CD/PSU usually escape harm.

and no post beeps..
Tested all the individual components.. both RAM chips good. Graphic card good. Cannot test the CPU (dont have a compatible motherboard) but as I said before, the heatsink fan spins ok..

I am trying to narrow it down so that I know if I have to buy a new processor only, a new mobo only or a whole new combo.

If it makes you feel better, that's a pretty badass way to break your computer.

What are the specs? Maybe now is a good time to upgrade the mobo/cpu instead of just replacing it.

foozy said:
If it makes you feel better, that's a pretty badass way to break your computer.

What are the specs? Maybe now is a good time to upgrade the mobo/cpu instead of just replacing it.

That's a good idea Foozy! I hope bluezz takes advantage of this opportunity. From now on, he needs to tell his friends to touch something metal like the case before pressing the ON button.

Yeah

Most likley it was metal, and yes that is a stupid stupid case design. Frankly Id call up the case manufacture and put the fear of god into them !!!!

There is no reason what so ever that you should be able to ruin your setup by turning the power on. It is a case flaw and should be compensated by the manufacture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back