static/squeal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is where to post but here goes.I bought a used computer and it has a static/squeal comingfrom the tower.It is a gateway select 1000 cs running windows me ....memory=128-mb 133/100/66-mhz 64-bit 4-clock 16x8 sdram dimm...MSI Athlon motherboard 1-GHz....250-watt 3.3-volt power supply...creative labs audio PCI 128D digital sound card...nVIDIA Vanta TNT-2 16MB video card.What it does is it squeals on start up ,or it starts part way then squeals and loses the monitor ,or it will run awhile squeal then lose the monitor.I`ve taken all the cards (sound,modem,video) out and replaced them one at a time and all goes well untill the video card is put back in.So I replace the video card with a new nVIDIA GeForce MX 4000 AGP 128MB DDR left the other cards out and the squeal was still there.So I take out the new video card and put one in from another computer in a PCI slot, load the drivers and still get the squeal.I even replaced the hard drive in hopes that was the problem butno go. The squeal seems to be coming from the area around the card slots.What now mother board?If so what would be a good replacement?Any other ideas?Thanks

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

I would swap out the PSU before replacing the MoBo and
try the bare bone setup again.

G'Luck

Tried a different monitor and power source but the squeal stayed.So I took a piece of rubber fuel line and tracked it down to a little speaker on the mobo that"provides audible error codes during power on self test".I cant post pictures so heres a link to gateways site that shows the speaker http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/MSI/2510174/251017408.shtml Can I fix/replace this?Do I need a new mobo?Or is this a sign of some thing else?Thanks

-reset Bios setting
-search for bios and chipset updates for your mobo
-depending on OS in use try re-asigning IRQs either manually or swapping slots
-if using XP or W2K you may try to reinstall ACPI into a mode w/t virtual IRQs
-Consider downgrading to Standard PC config instead ACPI if that is in use (note: you won't be able to go back to ACPI unless you reinstall Windows)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back