TechSpot

Steam for Linux limited beta launching in October

By Jos
Sep 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Valve's efforts to port Steam over to Linux is still a work in progress, but apparently it's far along enough that the company is ready to start beta testing its digital distribution platform on the open-source operating system. According to...

Read more

2. Damn right.

3. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 422   +42

4. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 310   +62

This is going to be sick. Does anyone know if buying a game would get you access to the windows and linux versions of it?

5. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Maniac Posts: 552

I would assume so, seeing as MAC/PC versions cross, it would not make sense if it doesn't.

6. yorro

yorro TS Enthusiast Posts: 246

With the advent of Windows8, this could take the world by storm. All they have to worry about is execution.

7. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 310   +62

That'd be really nice if it did. I think if it got enough attention, they could probably refine a linux distro well enough to serve to the general public. Of course I don't know how long it'd stay free if they started getting a large market share of computer users.

8. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 422   +42

A paid-for version will fail. No doubt.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.